Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duncannon Fort

Options
  • 31-01-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Looking for a bit of help from my fellow boardsies.

I've an investigation in Duncannon Fort in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone might have any detailed new or historical maps of the fort itself. A plan of the grounds would be great if anyone had such a thing but any maps would be a help. I have the usual aerial views and a few old photos/book scans I found but can’t get any decent maps of the place, either historical or new.

I had a look at a few books on the history of Wexford in the library as well as a few book shops but most of them skim over Duncannon or just have the history of the place and no pics/maps and I already have detailed information on the its history. Even “The Wise Owl” in Dun Laoghaire didn’t have anything and I always find what I want in that old place. I also checked http://www.oldirishmaps.com and they have an old map of the general area but it’s not very detailed and costs nearly €400 so in these recession times that’s a no go.

I found this map but the resolution is very low.
    duncannonfort-old.jpg

Also, I’ve never done an investigation in the fort so does anyone have any stories or experiences from there they might want to share.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Hey Steve,

COntact Dre as in Dray.... he should be able to help you...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    Hey Steve,

COntact Dre as in Dray.... he should be able to help you...

:D

Thanks Ruth, Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

If you are looking for a detailed history of the fort along with maps and publications im pretty sure one hasnt been published yet.Looking for data relevalt to a paranormal investigation would mean getting your hands on original material from museum and army archives which would be very difficult without and institution behind you and hugely time consuming (months of work, thats why I havnt done it).

I have seen maps of the place from 1850 and 1911 and they are pretty much the same as modern ortho images. Nothing there has changed much for a very long time. As far as a paranormal investigation goes the material available isnt very helpful.

G

Grimes wrote: »
    If you are looking for a detailed history of the fort along with maps and publications im pretty sure one hasnt been published yet. This would mean getting your hands on orignal material from archives which would be very difficult without and institution behind you.

G

There is a book by Philip Herbert Hore published in 1904 called "History of the town and county of Wexford" that is supposed to have some very good historic maps of the fort but it is very hard to come by. If I could get a few scans of that I'd be a happy man.

The National Library of Australia has an online version but I'm not eligible to create an account as I don’t have an Australian address or social security number(or whatever they call it on oz).

Oh right, I thought you were looking for something specific to the fort. There is 1 copy of that book in the UCD Library, specifically the volume that has the maps of the fort. I would be suprised if they were different to the one you linked to above or that are available in the fort museum.I might pop in and have a look at it, I never got around to it. Dont tell the PIGS

• Advertisement

Oh right, I thought you were looking for something specific to the fort. There is 1 copy of that book in the UCD Library.

Ideally I would like something specific to the fort but I’ll take what I can get if you know what I mean. That particular book is supposed to have some good historic maps of the fort which I would love to get my hands on.

It’s for a paranormal investigation but I’d like to know more about the place for myself as well. No harm in learning a little history about a place, it can only help :)

If you do happen to wander in and have a look can you let me know if the maps are any good. I'll go in myself but I'm not sure if I can as I'm not a student and didn't go to UCD anyway.

I'll owe you a pint :)

smcgarr wrote: »
    Ideally I would like something specific to the fort but I’ll take what I can get if you know what I mean. That particular book is supposed to have some good historic maps of the fort which I would love to get my hands on.

It’s for a paranormal investigation but I’d like to know more about the place for myself as well. No harm in learning a little history about a place, it can only help :)

Ill have a look tomorrow and post the scans here/.

Ill have a look tomorrow and post the scans here/.

Thanks Grimes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Dont tell the PIGS

We'll be talking tomorrow night.

6th wrote: »
    We'll be talking tomorrow night.

Sketch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cypress Willow

I was there today on a private tour. You can find pictures by finding me on Facebook, however my account there has very high security settings so you will have to give me your FB name so I can friend you. Alternatively, you can contact the Duncannon Fort guide who is a master of the place and knows all of the paranormal activity, including that of the Croppy Boy. His name is Frank Broaders and if you call the Fort I'm sure they'd be happy to direct you to him. Sorry I can't give you his email address without his permission. But I'm happy to help you in any way. I also was inside Loftus Hall recently and have some very telling photos of paranormal activity there on Facebook as well. Good luck in your investigations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cypress Willow

also you can email me at cypress.willow@gmail.com for further information.

Advertisement