Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you do this in Trinity?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Someone was saying you could but I'm not sure.

I'm in 5th year, I want to do psychology but the points are huge (535-550).
    Are you able to do a course for a year and then move up to psychology (eg Spanish & Film studies 425 points).

This is my first post on this site so sorry if its the wrong section :S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

As far as I know you would need the points to transfer courses, also you may incur fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

think you need the points. If you did psychology as part of arts the points would be lower, but I'm thinking of NUIM so don't know if that applies here

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

I doubt this is possible in Trinity, but in Maynooth you can study psychology as part of first year arts, and if you rank in the top twenty in psychology through arts by the end of first year you can transfer into second year psychology.

At least you could do that last year. I believe UCD closed that route to psychology recently, so you'd want to check things out with Maynooth before making this your game plan.

You're in fifth year though, you've plenty of time to research every course under the sun, take your time at it and pick something you think you'll like.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

CJTobin wrote: »
    I doubt this is possible in Trinity, but in Maynooth you can study psychology as part of first year arts, and if you rank in the top twenty in psychology through arts by the end of first year you can transfer into second year psychology.

At least you could do that last year. I believe UCD closed that route to psychology recently, so you'd want to check things out with Maynooth before making this your game plan.

You're in fifth year though, you've plenty of time to research every course under the sun, take your time at it and pick something you think you'll like.

I was at the Maynooth Open Day this year, they definitely said that that is still an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

Someone was saying you could but I'm not sure.

I'm in 5th year, I want to do psychology but the points are huge (535-550).
    Are you able to do a course for a year and then move up to psychology (eg Spanish & Film studies 425 points).

This is my first post on this site so sorry if its the wrong section :S

yea you need the points to do any internal transfer in trinity,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

As far as I know, that can't be done.

Transfering into another course is basically treated exactly like the CAO, points and all. Plus the requirement to pay fees.

But you can ask them if you want - the Executive officer in charge of such enquiries would be Siobhán Walsh: email siobhan.walsh at tcd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Not worth your while asking to be perfectly honest. You need to the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not worth your while asking to be perfectly honest. You need to the points.

Not as stupid a question as it sounds to be honest.

Points are worked out on a supply and demand basis.
    The college sets minimum requirements which everyone must pass of course.

But if a lot of people fail or drop out of first year and there are fewer students in second year than expected, why not allow someone to enter through a different route?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

enda1 wrote: »
    But if a lot of people fail or drop out of first year and there are fewer students in second year than expected, why not allow someone to enter through a different route?

Possibly to stop people trying to get into courses this way. Even if spaces open up on the course you need to have the requisite number of points to transfer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

enda1 wrote: »
    Not as stupid a question as it sounds to be honest.

Points are worked out on a supply and demand basis.
    The college sets minimum requirements which everyone must pass of course.

No there is not way into a course without the points. Talk to anyone is TSM Economics and Sociology who has tried to transfer into BESS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

As others have said, you can't do it that way - you still need the points for the course, because you'd be going in at first year, so it still depends on the CAO thing. (Plus repeating first year, even if it's a different course = paying fees for the year.) But if you really want to do psychology, either work hard to get the points you need, or look at options in other universities - if you're sure it's what you want to be doing, go for it.

(And keep in mind that even if you end up doing something else for your undergrad degree, there are conversion courses you could go back and do if you really wanted to - e.g. TCD has a HDip in Psychology, two-year course, which lets graduates of other disciplines get the psychology training they need to go on and do postgrad in that area.)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

My sister was actually wondering this same thing the other day. So does anyone know if there's another way onto the course if you don't get the points? I know a guy who's applying to a bunch of psychology courses through the mature student route this year after doing some sort of pre-psychology course (can't remember where he's doing it) but of course, that's only for people who are over 23. What do the leaving cert crowd do?
    I mean let's say results day comes, you don't get the points for any direct psychology course (entirely possible, they're all very high points courses) and you end up with a place on a course you don't really want or don't get offered one at all because you only had psychology courses down. Where to next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

TheAmateur wrote: »
    My sister was actually wondering this same thing the other day. So does anyone know if there's another way onto the course if you don't get the points? I know a guy who's applying to a bunch of psychology courses through the mature student route this year after doing some sort of pre-psychology course (can't remember where he's doing it) but of course, that's only for people who are over 23. What do the leaving cert crowd do?
    I mean let's say results day comes, you don't get the points for any direct psychology course (entirely possible, they're all very high points courses) and you end up with a place on a course you don't really want or don't get offered one at all because you only had psychology courses down. Where to next?

Do the course you got into and then do a psychology post grad/apply next year and hope things have changed/apply for UCAS next year (requirements are a bit lower as there are more courses overall)/wait until you're a mature student and do the interview route.

Or there may be a PLC to degree route, but I dont know all that much about the area. If your sister would qualifies she could apply through TAP or a similar programme and do a pre university year followed by the full degree. These routes don't gauruntee entry into certain courses though.

Before this gets into the CAO is bollicks - the CAO is fair, no one has an advantage by being able to name drop a school or an alumni connection in an interview, or to pull further reaching strings.

The LC is a bit crap though.

Advertisement