Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help to change wheel please

Options
  • 31-01-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I have a new golf and a screw in the tyre. I cant change it cause i cant get the bloody caps off to get at the wheel nuts. The tool provided does not get any grip. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The plastic tool. You need to push it all the way in around the covers until it clicks around the back and then pull. They should easily pop off.

Assuming you mean these black boyos on the right hand side of the picture?

silverwheelnutcoversrace.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

No berty its not the hub cap. The hub cap has caps over the wheel nuts built in if you see what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

those plastic nut covers come off with a flat screwdriver, not sure if that's the correct way to get them off but it works.

your car has a roadside assistance package, maybe try ringing them to change it.

Ryan T wrote: »
    No berty its not the hub cap. The hub cap has caps over the wheel nuts built in if you see what i mean.

Looking at the picture above, where did you think I assumed you meant hub caps.

My question stays the same? Do you have this tool(pictured above) in the box with the jack?

No Berty I have a piece of wire. I cant get the hub cap off without getting at the nuts and I cant get at the nuts without removing the caps on the nuts. Sorry for the confusion. Itried the flat screwdriver as suggested by colm but no joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

can you post or find a pic because you are really confusing me.

If you have hubcaps then you have no nuts until you get the wheel cover off. If you think you have then they are only asthetics.

If you have a piece of wire, do you mean a tie wrap holding the hubcap on?

Or do you mean this?

trunk%20tool%20wheel%20nut%20cover%20remover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

isn't there a hole in the middle of the plastic cover? I presume you put that wire into the hole and pull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Berty wrote: »

A wire like that came with my Seat Leon. There is a slight groove in the center cap where that wire goes in and the cap pops out. Its not in the center though, its on the side.

Still could not get the caps off. Three men tried at work too and no joy. Gonna bring back to dealer to see how to do it --thanks for help

• Advertisement
Advertisement