Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Music in Middleton Park House

Options
  • 31-01-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

We're very interested in booking Middleton Park House for a wedding this year.

The one reservation beside the price - which is bit hefty and hopefully open to negotiation - is where the band set up in the foyer to the side of the main stairs facing the entrance. I know they put in a dancefloor for the band, but it doesn't seem ideal for them to set up at ground level to the side of the stairs. More importantly given the open space there Id imagine there could be severe sound issues - way too much reverb, loudness, etc.

Have any couple or indeed musicians had any experience with this lovely venue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hi,

We're very interested in booking Middleton Park House for a wedding this year.

The one reservation beside the price - which is bit hefty and hopefully open to negotiation - is where the band set up in the foyer to the side of the main stairs facing the entrance. I know they put in a dancefloor for the band, but it doesn't seem ideal for them to set up at ground level to the side of the stairs. More importantly given the open space there Id imagine there could be severe sound issues - way too much reverb, loudness, etc.

Have any couple of indeed musicians had any experience with this lovely venue?

I've djed there twice with bands on before and it is one of my favourites. Yes, it is probably more difficult to setup but the stairs is left free to be used and the band can setup on both sides with dj behind on either side. The sound was also great in my opinion. I didn't have any issues with my sound either and it really is a wonderful room.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭karlkarlson

Thanks a lot for the reply, sweetie. Sounds like we might have no problem if we went for this place.

Anyone else have experience with the entertainment in Middleton? Or any other general feedback about the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Thanks a lot for the reply, sweetie. Sounds like we might have no problem if we went for this place.

Anyone else have experience with the entertainment in Middleton? Or any other general feedback about the place?

We were giving it serious consideration at one point and were allowed visit during an actual wedding (v. surreptiously). The sound seemed fine to me and the location of the dancefloor at the bottom of the stairs seemed to be working just fine when we checked it out.

We arrived at the dining area as the last of the guests were leaving - so saw the layout ' live'. The tables seemed a little more packed-in than many of the wedding receptions we've been at. But having had our own reception at a to-capacity restaurant, the more compacted dining arrangment would be seen as ideal for creating a nice hum of conversation. Better than having everybody spread out over an acre-sized function room in other words

All in all they seemed a professional outfit with an eye for quality in both service and food (we dined in the restaurant which was fine).

Best of luck in your final choice.

Thanks a lot for the reply antiskeptic.

Anybody else have thoughts on Middleton and especially how the entertainment has worked out in the place?

hey Sweetie,

Since you've DJed there before i'm wondering about your availability for Middletown on nov20 this year and your going rate?

Just to note, we really really do not want the normal wedding fare when it comes to a dj - we want a good mix of floor fillers without the cheese and the usual suspects you hear at every wedding. i think with motown, funk, rock and roll, good 80s, and the best of modern pop you can truly appeal to all generations without resorting to a default of rock the boat or a grease medley.

We'd also like a dj who would be willing to play a decent amount of tunes we'd ask for well before the wedding - not in a set order, but to some extent use a basic playlist selected by oursleves. i've seen DJs asked to do this before and it hasn't ended pretty at all as they had agreed all smiles to play what the couple wanted only to very obviously pepper their standard set with only a few numbers picked out before hand by the couple. in fairness, i can see how some DJs may take umbrage at being more or less what to play as it is their job to be knowledgeable on these things (I DJ myself) but I'd love to know what you'd play in a typical night for a more alternative minded affair and if you're honestly willing to mix up these tunes with a fair few from ourselves.

Please feel free to pm me.

Karl

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    I've djed there twice with bands on before and it is one of my favourites. Yes, it is probably more difficult to setup but the stairs is left free to be used and the band can setup on both sides with dj behind on either side. The sound was also great in my opinion. I didn't have any issues with my sound either and it really is a wonderful room.

hey Sweetie,

Since you've DJed there before i'm wondering about your availability for Middletown on nov20 this year and your going rate?

Just to note, we really really do not want the normal wedding fare when it comes to a dj - we want a good mix of floor fillers without the cheese and the usual suspects you hear at every wedding. i think with motown, funk, rock and roll, good 80s, and the best of modern pop you can truly appeal to all generations without resorting to a default of rock the boat or a grease medley.

We'd also like a dj who would be willing to play a decent amount of tunes we'd ask for well before the wedding - not in a set order, but to some extent use a basic playlist selected by oursleves. i've seen DJs asked to do this before and it hasn't ended pretty at all as they had agreed all smiles to play what the couple wanted only to very obviously pepper their standard set with only a few numbers picked out before hand by the couple. in fairness, i can see how some DJs may take umbrage at being more or less what to play as it is their job to be knowledgeable on these things (I DJ myself) but I'd love to know what you'd play in a typical night for a more alternative minded affair and if you're honestly willing to mix up these tunes with a fair few from ourselves.

Please feel free to pm me.

Karl

Advertisement