Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a Pharmacy do with a prescription?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hope I picked the correct thread to post this question! Just wondering what do pharmacies in Ireland do with prescriptions? They "fill them", give you back the medication and then what? Do they send it back to your doctor or file it or what?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If the prescription is finished i.e. has no repeats put on it by the doctor, or the number of repeats has been reached then the pharmacy needs to file it. Every prescription needs to be kept for 2 years (if it was a veterinary prescription it would be longer). It needs to be kept on the premises, it's written into legislation. If the Pharmaceutical Society were to do an inspection this is one of the things they'd check. After the 2 years they're shredded

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Wow, thanks for the detailed and swift response - I'm enlightened!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Compudaro wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for the detailed and swift response - I'm enlightened!

Our wee Angel is quick off the mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I do my best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Fascinating and bizarre that Veterinary prescriptions have to be retained for longer ! Why is this so ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I regularly get repeat prescriptions which reach the end and they are never taken from me.
    Is this a new law?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

delancey42 wrote: »
    Fascinating and bizarre that Veterinary prescriptions have to be retained for longer ! Why is this so ?

As far as I know the rationale is having traceability etc. for medicines used in food producing animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

spurious wrote: »
    I regularly get repeat prescriptions which reach the end and they are never taken from me.
    Is this a new law?

Nope. They're supposed to be taken off you and retained in the pharmacy that dispensed it on the last occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Great to see such interest in pharmacy on this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Vet prescriptins are kept for 5 yrs as you could give medicine to an animal then kill it and then freeze the meat for a number of years. They are kept longer in case of any problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement