Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet bracelet equals no pain

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never used them. Might help if you are on the wheel of a steel-framed bike, but not when you hit the front:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

OP - I have some magic beans that might interest you.

What a load of rubbish:

"The Trion:Z Technology
    Background of Minus Ions:
    Minus Ions are generally abundant in nature through plants, waterfalls, rain storms and forests. These Ions unfortunately are depleted in urban areas as a result of modern technology. The human body absorbs Positive Ions from electronic equipment, cell phones, electrical wiring, and machinery encountered in everyday modern life. Physical stress and exposure to Ultraviolet (UV) Rays also elevates the positive ion levels within the body."

Ehhh, no.Pick up a physics textbook. If we were really absorbing more positive ions than negative we would become positively charged, and would get a shock anytime we touched anything.

This is pseudo science at its worst, lots of fancy scientific language, but no actual science. Anyone with a scientific education can see through the lies.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think that the placebo effect has been proven to work even if the subject knows it's a placebo.

See discussions on fancy wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

niceonetom wrote: »

PM sent.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

niceonetom wrote: »

I never knew you were a drug dealer. What else can you get, any EPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i heard the other day in a lecture that a course of EPO will cost 15,000 a month :eek:

EDIT: Sorry, i should have stated that figure is probably for therapeutic use rather than it's proper use

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

abcdggs wrote: »
    i heard the other day in a lecture that a course of EPO will cost 15,000 a month :eek:

I can get you a better deal than that, PM me :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

EPO ha! the obvious drug of choice is the magic beans above! i'd like to see them test for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

avalanche wrote: »
    anyone ever used these?

im pretty sceptical about this kind of yoke but seems to get good reviews, i will leave it to the reliable boardsies to decide if its a go or a joke..

:)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/TrionZ_Dual_Loop_Bracelet/5360042640/

Don't buy a Charge bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

avalanche wrote: »
    anyone ever used these?

im pretty sceptical about this kind of yoke but seems to get good reviews, i will leave it to the reliable boardsies to decide if its a go or a joke..

:)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/TrionZ_Dual_Loop_Bracelet/5360042640/

These type of thing were all the rage a fair number of years ago in the equestrian world. You would hear all sorts of stories about what the magnetic therepy would do to relax horses etc. Knew a few peeps who tried them on themselves but the novelty wore off. Be prepared for headaches and drinking a hell of alot of water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What a load of rubbish:

Minus Ions are generally abundant in nature through plants, waterfalls, rain storms and forests. These Ions unfortunately are depleted in urban areas as a result of modern technology. The human body absorbs Positive Ions from electronic equipment, cell phones, electrical wiring, and machinery encountered in everyday modern life. Physical stress and exposure to Ultraviolet (UV) Rays also elevates the positive ion levels within the body."

Ehhh, no.Pick up a physics textbook. If we were really absorbing more positive ions than negative we would become positively charged, and would get a shock anytime we touched anything.

This is pseudo science at its worst, lots of fancy scientific language, but no actual science. Anyone with a scientific education can see through the lies.

See randi.org for countless other examples of pseudoscientific bull. They all read like this: scientific terms thrown around like snuff at a wake, but nothing an actual scientist could make sense of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    See randi.org
    James Randi is a hero.

http://www.quackwatch.org/ is also another useful resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Scientifically, there are two types of energy in the world; stress and relaxation. If you manipulate the magnetic fields around your body, your negative orgones will be reduced and your wellness levels will be through the roof! :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have any of you guys criticising actually tried this thing? You might be surprised... I got one cheap with a discount coupon and I haven't since seen any tigers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

New Age Twadle my friend. But you know that. Although Lumens point on placebo effect, tongue in cheek as it was, has a lot of truth to it. I recommend a book called Bad Science by Ben Goldacre if you want to read more on the subject.

If you really want no pain then I recommend some good old fashioned grade A narcotics.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    If you really want no pain then I recommend some good old fashioned grade A narcotics.

I know you're joking, but I was actually reading a study over the weekend on use of NSAIDs by cyclists. Apparently they didn't help performance and significantly increased markers of muscle damage. Pain is useful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What a load of rubbish:

Damn bracelet's formed an ionic bond with my arm. How do I get it off?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »

Buy a magnetic water conditioner, it'll wash right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    New Age Twadle my friend. But you know that. Although Lumens point on placebo effect, tongue in cheek as it was, has a lot of truth to it. I recommend a book called Bad Science by Ben Goldacre if you want to read more on the subject.

+1, Website is pretty good too: http://www.badscience.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

ha ha , good old boards, its like a refreshing slap in the face with a wet fish.thanks lads, not sure what i was thinking, will stick to pain killers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aicushen

Anyone know how to remove a magnetic bracelet Is there a special tool required?
    We have tried to open catch but no go without the risk of maiming the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

In last weeks Cycling Weekly there was an article on these bracelets where the founder was forced by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to admit that these bracelets don't work and therefore he's being forced to offer refunds to people in Australia who have bought them.

Anyway sure if they did work surely if someone wore enough of them they could win the Tour de France ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Minus Ions, not negative ones, because who'd want to be negative?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stark wrote: »

Are you positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

aicushen wrote: »
    Is there a special tool required?

There is generally one present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Lumen wrote: »
    I think that the placebo effect has been proven to work even if the subject knows it's a placebo.

See discussions on fancy wheels.

What about magnetic or ionized wheels? Where can I buy a set of those? And can they be ridden over Luas tracks?

I've tried homeopathic cycling and it is great fun. You don't even need a bike: you can just dilute the cycling down to the point where all that's left is impulse buying on wiggle... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

I have access to high quality beef a la Contador - proved to make you win TdF at least once..

Advertisement