Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My mame machine

Options
  • 31-01-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

I know there more than likely a thread for this but I'm going to get going on a mame machine for myself, only ever played my *cough* backups on my pc with a controller so just assume i know nothing about building machines.

I did a little research and i think i want to make a cocktail table type one, just for space, but if anybody can give me any tips or anything it would be apreciated, I know i can find a lot of guides online but if someone could give me a guide they found good that would be great.

want to go for arcade emulation, along with megadrive, nintendo and mabye some more in the machine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,447 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only thing you'd need help with guide wise is if you're going to make a real arcade control panel.

Other than that, if you're going to make a cocktail, all you really need to do is to pick up something that will fit a screen in it nicely.

Here's one made with an IKEA table and a laptop. Really simple to do and looks the biz.

The only thing he really needs to do in that is put some decent controls in -

http://onlyhacks.com/pc_mac/powerbook-ikea-mame-table/

edit - actually...I have a 22 inch LCD monitor I'm not using. Might give this a go myself!

Another edit - here it is with decent controls - http://mamenetbook.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

AH yeah but i was thinking about going a bit more towards the max with it, more along the lines of this

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_kickass_mame_arcade_rig_old_pc_pics?page=0%2C0

But not as big as that, a medium between the first link there and that one

Master of the Universe

Oh jesus, the control panel of the upright cabinet in that link would make your eyes bleed!

What freaks me out a little is it kind of looks like a Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet. I really hope they didn't gut one to make that piece of crap.

The cocktail looks nice though. I can't see that being too hard to put together. Do you have the carpentry skills and that?

oh yeah thats no problem at all, was even wondering if i would make it from solid wood rather than mdf, but think i might go with the mdf veniered, depending on the cost.

Would you say the cocktail would be somthing to shoot for?
    Just the software would mainly be the thing i have an issue with, and any sodering i might need to do, but i could get the hand of that fast

Master of the Universe

You can get away without soldering...as I was saying, it all really depends on what you want to do with the controls. Although even if you do chose to use real arcade controls, the soldering is extremely easy.

Software wise, you just need to put a MAME front end on it. I've never done that before, but I can't imagine it being too difficult.
    Sure you don't even have to do that. It could just boot up windows and you could open MAME that way.

The hardest part is really making the unit itself..if you have no problem doing that then you should be grand!

• Advertisement

Ah right, well I'll look around for some plans and build a budget pc for running it, know of any good plan floating around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Loving that Ikea table, Think I'l definitely have to do one of them soon.

I highly advise looking through all the projects and threads on this site as if your anything like me you will build it and then see something better so take your time researching
    http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Ah right, well I'll look around for some plans and build a budget pc for running it, know of any good plan floating around here?

I Have a small arcade machine for sale its reall neat and clean, I also have a 1069 in 1 mame board for sale if your interested. I can mod the board to play some of the newer games killer instinct and the likes. PM me if your interested.

Ah i dont think im going to be using boards and stuff, was looking into it and might just use a pc

the board is a PC but you have the option to play boards in the future if you wanted. Anyway its up to you

Info on the board below
    http://www.jammaboards.com/store/1069-in-1-games-family-multigame-system/prod_243.html

The reason for selling the cab is that it was bought for a friend for christmass but they where laid off so want it sold now.

• Advertisement

Ah i think i'll leave it man, want to get the case sorted out firstly

no worries
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi Purplec,
    I am looking for a small mame machine as I havent got the time or space to build another one.
    Can you PM me with details and pics?
    Cheers.

Master of the Universe

sham69 wrote: »
    Hi Purplec,
    I am looking for a small mame machine as I havent got the time or space to build another one.
    Can you PM me with details and pics?
    Cheers.

Baby jesus is crying! Don't MAME it if it's working perfectly :(

Or at least make sure you keep the original monitor in it!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Baby jesus is crying! Don't MAME it if it's working perfectly :(

Or at least make sure you keep the original monitor in it!

Itis working a very nice clean cab, in comparisson to some I have seen

Master of the Universe

Any chance you could stick a picture up here? And where abouts are you based?

can email it on, but small wooden cab, control panel fullystripped screen nice and bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Emmet_F

Hi, can you PM me details on this please

Thanks

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any chance you could stick a picture up here? And where abouts are you based?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=186669&cat=all

Advertisement