Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for dash 2.0.8955.0?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Young fella got an elite 360 for xmas, the months free gold XBL subscription is now up, at the moment its a paperweight and doesn't get played at all. I want to bring some life to it like I did by hacking homebrew on the wii (realise I'm limited). What are the options here. I just checked and its running dashboard 2.0.8955.0.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Young fella got an elite 360 for xmas, the months free gold XBL subscription is now up, at the moment its a paperweight and doesn't get played at all. I want to bring some life to it like I did by hacking homebrew on the wii (realise I'm limited). What are the options here. I just checked and its running dashboard 2.0.8955.0.

no options.

sell it and find yourself one with dash <7371

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

docentore wrote: »
    no options.

sell it and find yourself one with dash <7371

Eh, No!! Build a HTPC, what I should have done in the first place. 360 was the worst investment ever, its a shíte system, media player, even lacks a browser, how fooked up is that. With 2 gaming pc's in the house it didn't stand a chance unless it was hackable. If only the original Xbox with XBMC did HD

Is it really that bad for that dash? Might it be hackable in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Eh, No!! Build a HTPC, what I should have done in the first place.

I doubt your little fella would have been as happy with a HTPC :pac:

It only seems limited because the units full potential hasnt been explored yet, but progress IS being made. You have to remember that XBMC is so good because on the original xbox, well the unit is fully opened up. Given time, I would imagine the same will happen with the 360.

I certainly wouldnt call it a "sh1te system".

EnterNow wrote: »
    I doubt your little fella would have been as happy with a HTPC :pac:

He has his own gaming pc (2.4GHz C2D, 2GB ram, 8800GT) I built for Him last yr (been slowly upgrading now 2.4Ghz Quad, 4GB ram, gpu next), He's not impressed with it either, He never plays it. Was a suprise Santa gift He didn't ask for, a mistake on my part. After pc the Wii gets played most, this never.

10 year olds do seem to like the Wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

He has his own gaming pc (2.4GHz C2D, 2GB ram, 8800GT) I built for Him last yr (been slowly upgrading now 2.4Ghz Quad, 4GB ram, gpu next), He's not impressed with it either, He never plays it. Was a suprise Santa gift He didn't ask for, a mistake on my part. After pc the Wii gets played most, this never.

I don't really see the point of you telling us how much usage the Xbox 360 gets or if you should have built a HTPC over it..

The fact is now you've updated to the latest version of the dashboard (or bought one with it pre-loaded) you have no chance of installing XeLL, Homebrew or anything even in the same category as that stuff. Luck of the draw, blame Microsoft.

If you want homebrew, do as Docentore suggested and sell that console and look for another one with a dash version of 2.0.7371.0 or lower with a manufacturing date of May 2009 or earlier and one that also hasn't been sent for repair (to be uber safe).

/thread :)

It was bought to play hd over hdmi, doesn't do that very well either. I foolishly thought You could do more with it

/off to Ebay

Advertisement