Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Baggage Question - Snowboard

Options
  • 31-01-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

CAnt seem to work out from the Aer lingus website about this.

I'm carrying a snowboard bag that weighs about 15kg and will also check in a bag weighing 20kg (I'm bringing my 9 month old - he gets no baggage allowance).

My question is this, will I have to pay excess baggage charges? Does the snowboard count as part of your checked baggage allowance? I did pay already for the bag and the snowboard.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

I dont think u will, your snowboard bag will be sports baggage so if you paid for that already your grand, hope it help enjoy the slopes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

From what I can tell you will be fine.....
    Aer Lingus allow 20kg for checked in luggage, 15kg is allowable for your snowboard (seems light). You will also have the 10kg hand luggage allowance.

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Support/helpBaggage.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0919909490.1264902426@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladejhmdfeekcefecfigdffgdfkg.0&P_OID=-536882416&Category=2#checkedbaggagefees

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For Aer Lingus, if you have paid for the sports equipment allowance, then you get 20kg for you main bag plus the 15kg for the sports stuff as said above.

If your taking skis then the boot bag and skis only count as one item, this is the same for every airline worldwide, although they will tag both bags you will only ever get charged as them being one item.

Ryanair actually have a more generous baggage allowance now. 15kg for the first bag, another 15kg if you pay for a second bag, and another 20kg if you pay for the sports equipment as well giving a total of 50kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Just to clarify robinph, are you saying that if I book with with "sports equipment" and turn up at the airport with a bag with skis and another with my boots, that they will take the two bags and only charge me for one sports equipment bag? If so, that is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You pay for regular luggage, and you pay seperately for sports equipment. So if you're bringing snowboard bag + regular luggage you have to pay for both.

You could put as much stuff in your snowboard bag, and then bring a carry-on case on the plane (10kg).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Snow board qualifies as "sports equipment" which you pay seperately for...stuff the bag with as much as you can.
    Pay for the Boot bag and suitcase as 2 pieces of seperate luggage. (assuming that's what you're bringing)
    It's a friggin rip off no matter what...!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

If you can get yourself a big snowboard bag, you can stick all your clothes in there too. Pay for sports equipment check-in and don't bother with a regular check-in bag. The 15kg limit is pretty restrictive, but you can put quite a lot of stuff into your carry on bag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

"Snow Boards

Aer Lingus will carry Snow Boards as checked baggage:

For flights between Ireland and North America Snow Boards are part of free allowance, normal excess baggage rates apply if the passenger carries excess to the free allowance.

There is no charge for Snow Boards for passengers travelling in Business Class.

For all other routes a maximum of 1 Snow Board per person and a fee of €30 or equivalent payable online prior to departure or a fee of €40 or equivalent, payable at the airport on the day of departure applies. This fee is charged each-way on outbound and return journeys."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just to clarify robinph, are you saying that if I book with with "sports equipment" and turn up at the airport with a bag with skis and another with my boots, that they will take the two bags and only charge me for one sports equipment bag? If so, that is great news.

Yes, as long as the combination of the ski bag and the boot bag still come in as under 20kg. They count as only one sports equipment item.

Unlikely to work if you take a ski bag and then try and claim that your suitcase is your boot bag though. It will need to actually be a ski boot bag to count with the skis themselves.

Advertisement