Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull down hanging clothes rail in wardrobe - do you have one?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting some new wardrobes fitted in my house. I am hoping to get them fitted with a pull down hanging clothes rail as it seems like it might be the most effective use of space. Also I'm small enough in height so it means anything from around 5ft6 up is dead space to me unless I feel like standing on a chair etc.
    Does anyone have any experience of pull down clothes rails ? Do they hold as many clothes as a normal clothes rail? Are there any disadvantages of them that I should know before I buy?

Just in case thats not the correct name for them this image shows what I'm talking about. You can have the rail up high in the wardrobe and then use a stick thing to pull them down to your level.

Eg it can go from this :
    pull-down-rail-main.jpg

To this :
    file49f3327562602.200904251655_home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

These look like a great idea. I need to get fitted wardrobes and need to cost them. Do you know any good carpenter who could fit corner wardrobe and two side ones like in IKEA catlogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am just starting to look into getting dome quotes. I contacted http://conneelyfurniture.net and am waiting for a quote from them ATM. The guy I dealt with seemed lovely and told me that as they make all their own stuff that they can make anything you want to your exact specifications. They only have their kitchen range on their site but if you like any of the kitchen door designs they will adapt them into full size wardrobe doors for you.It's not more expensive than buying from their wardrobe range.

They also introduced me to the idea of pull down rails and I think they look perfect for me. I'd just like to know how much clothing they hold safely etc and if there any hitches with the pull down system.

Oh btw Conneelys are based in Galway. I looked through your posts central park and you seem to be Galway too!:)

If you've any recommendations please let me know too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭camo11

Hi, i have intalled those pull down rails and they are excellent ! If you are still looking for someone to install them i am a carpenter in that line of business

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

where are you based?

• Advertisement

We are based in Dublin, if you wish i can send you my contact details via private mail

Hi camo. Unfortunately I'm based in Galway but I appreciate you taking the time to answer and the PM.

Do you find that those rails can hold as much clothing weight as a regular rail or are they very limited in how much they can carry?

They are good. They are strong alright. I would not jam them full like you might on a normal hanging rail. They are good if you can't reach the top rail. I would say go for them, they are not that expensive to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

camo11 wrote: »
    They are good. They are strong alright. I would not jam them full like you might on a normal hanging rail. They are good if you can't reach the top rail. I would say go for them, they are not that expensive to be honest

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread but I'm very interested in getting in a hanging rail into our wardrobe. Are they easy to fit and where would be a good place to get them ? I live in North County Dublin so I can travel anywhere in the Dublin region.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I also want to know where you can get them and do a diy fit as not getting a carpenter to do my walk in robe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

In my experience, pull down rails are a terrible idea. They really have a very short life time in general. Hanging clothes, even just shirts and light items can collectively be quite heavy and none of these fittings seem to withstand consistant use.
    One thing, if you must must must get one of these fittings, is to make sure you get one that is fixed to both the right and left gable of the wardrobe interior. Some of the smaller width ones are only fixed one side, and they rarely last more than a year.

Advertisement