Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical preperation for Skiing

Options
  • 30-01-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Im off to Austria in two weeks but dont want to be so wrecked after the first day....! Is there anything you should do before you go that will prepare you?

PS: obviously exercise, but any good methods??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

go up to kilternan and do a an hour or two without stopping on the dendex, that'll get you ship shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

i'd say squats as its your legs that are absoultely fcuked trying to slow down / make turns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I am no way a great skier but the better I become the less physically demanding I find it on my body, however, I think cycling is quite good.

Overall fitness is great to help you last the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

+1 on the cycling. I've done a fair amount over the last month and really noticed the difference on the slopes this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Find a tall building and run up and down the stairs for 20 mins or half an hour each day. On the way down don't use the hand rail (better for improving balance) and go two at a time slowly.
    Squats and lunges are great too. Also jumping side to side, or over a low bench, or even jumping up in the air trying to touch the ceiling/clouds and then down to a squat and back up, all work the right muscles.
    Core body strength is important too.
    The fitter you are the better you will ski, and you'll improve more quickly and enjoy it more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement