Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change the fan on a Dell Dimension 5000?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I recently cleaned my whole system and it was running quietly for a while but now sounds like a jet engine again. I doubt it could get that dirty again so quickly.

Can I buy a fan online and replace it or do Dell use their own types of fan that aren't freely available?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

you can buy dell parts online cheap, look for a part number on the fan usually a 5 digit alphanumeric like 5p910 etc and google it then fan should'd cost more than a tenner.

BUT if its spinning like a jet engine it might be the motherboard telling it to spin up that fast due to a fault / or system getting too warm or a fault with the fan.

Quick google = Dell Optiplex GX520 GX620 Dimension 5000 Cooling Fan P/N: Y4574
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Dimension-E521-CPU-Cooling-Fan-Y4574-0Y4574-120mm_W0QQitemZ370288804921QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091111?IMSfp=TL091111182004r11794

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I seen that before with Dells. The fam ramps up to crazy speeds even when on idle.
    I've heard various solutions such as disabling hyperthreading on P4 machines to updating the BIOS.

The BIOS update seems the logical choice to me as it may just be a simple bug.

Advertisement