Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week - Any Good?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Title says it all really. Everyone I've talked to says it's a bit of a let down. Anything essential to do? I'm giving assassin a go and have seen pretty disgusting pictures of the Iron Stomach competition but apart from that I have no clue what the week entails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

How come there isn't really much info, actually no info about what's going on next week? Only found out it's next week by one of the girls in the class.

Apparently Rag week is crap up in Dublin, better down the country- Galway/Sligo. Dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jennedy

I heard rag week is crap in Trinity because they can't do any of the outrageously fun stuff other colleges do because there's tourists all over the place, city centre blah blah blah.

Basically it's ****e because college won't let us do anything. Miserable fun spoiling sods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

This is the first I heard of it :/ Is that assassin thing any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

The players used to run the gumball challenge but I can't see that going ahead after last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I have always heard that TCD has an especially weak rag week, and UCD's isn't great either. Apparently DIT has the best in Dublin, but as has been said the country colleges have much better rag weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Craguls wrote: »
    The players used to run the gumball challenge but I can't see that going ahead after last year.
    What happened last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

Pretty poor advertising for Rag Week this is the first I've heard about it. What is assasin about? And iron stomach? If it's not great they are hardly making much of an effort to make it better to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

TheRiddler wrote: »
    Pretty poor advertising for Rag Week this is the first I've heard about it. What is assasin about? And iron stomach? If it's not great they are hardly making much of an effort to make it better to be honest
    Assassin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_%28game%29
    Assassin... ...is a live-action game. Players try to eliminate each other from the game using mock weapons in an effort to become the last surviving player.

Assassin is particularly popular on college campuses... ...Assassin is lifestyle-invading. Game-play occurs at all hours and in all places. Since an elimination attempt could occur at any time, successful players are obliged to develop a healthy degree of watchful paranoia.

Trinity doesn't have an "Assassin's Guild", but SFSOC runs Assassin events every year during RAG Week. We play using stickers, and only do one event a year, since a) running Assassin requires a lot of work (we tried doing it twice in one year and, though successful, it was a strain on the committee, which at the time was primarily third year computer scientists) and b) as the article says, succeeding at Assassin is often at the detriment of college work.

Iron Stomach is an eating contest in which you try and eat the most disgusting "food" that college regulations permit to be prepared on campus. You can succeed by either not throwing up, or by throwing up so comedically that the crowd cheers for you.

I've heard people stalk out lecture theatres to find their targets. Sounds like so much fun.

That's the idea! Assassin is supposed to be all about the chase rather than the kill (though that particular moment can also be pretty awesome in and of itself). The stories in TCD alone about the lengths people have gone to to pursue their targets/evade their pursuers are legendary; the winner two (three?) years ago dyed her hair a different colour every day and wore coloured contact lenses. Several committee members from three sessions ago swear that one guy jumped out a window on the first floor of the GMB. Assassin makes a pretty good spectator sport... though it's not like one can go to watch an assassination.

I wonder if someone will try to claim the "most spectacular assassination caught on camera" prize this year...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Fedule wrote: »
    I wonder if someone will try to claim the "most spectacular assassination caught on camera" prize this year...
    I won it one year with the most mundane kill possible - walking up and killing a sabbatical candidate.

I was the only entrant. :pac:

Fedule wrote: »
    That's the idea! Assassin is supposed to be all about the chase rather than the kill (though that particular moment can also be pretty awesome in and of itself). The stories in TCD alone about the lengths people have gone to to pursue their targets/evade their pursuers are legendary; the winner two (three?) years ago dyed her hair a different colour every day and wore coloured contact lenses. Several committee members from three sessions ago swear that one guy jumped out a window on the first floor of the GMB. Assassin makes a pretty good spectator sport... though it's not like one can go to watch an assassination.

Lol. Yeah i was thinking, you would have to come up with disguises! My course in SFX make-up would come in handy here!! PM me for details. (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

What happened last year?

The challenge encouraged some public nudity and attracted a lot of bad press. Google Trinity gumball challenge and you'll probably find the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Gahh!! even Green Week is more fun

Jonathan wrote: »
    I won it one year with the most mundane kill possible - walking up and killing a sabbatical candidate.

I was the only entrant. :pac:

Frankly, I'm convinced we should offer the prize to the cameraman, not the assassin. Otherwise, the biggest challenge is getting someone to film you. Plus it gives the people not actually playing something to do.

And yeah, the SU officers and candidates generally enter only as a formality... since their chances are pretty much zero. IIRC the SU Officers' All Time Record for staying alive is just under a day, and candidates tend to get busted while campaigning. 'Sides, a lot of the candidates partake in Assassin and Iron Stomach just for publicity (we shall refrain from pointing fingers at, say, hypothetically, picking a totally random example, Nick Longworth).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

2whit2who wrote: »
    Gahh!! even Green Week is more fun

Interesting advertising technique :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Boards Gumball Challenge at the beers, anyone?

RAG week is pretty piss poor, it ends up just being a complete letdown until the Friday when everyone hits the pav (for a change).

Are you doing the Assassin this year Jonathan? Were you the guy wearing the moustache and wig with your hood up? :D Gotta be itchy and hot!

Edit: just saw the other thread. lol

Advertisement