Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding and the disabled

Options
  • 30-01-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I will be attending a wedding in 4 months time, as part of the wedding party. One of the invitees is an elderly relative who suffered a stroke recently and is confined to a wheelchair. The groom has asked me to organise getting the person to the wedding ceremony, and be there for the photos afterwards, but it is not envisaged that they will attend the reception (they don't wish to attend, not that they are not wanted).

I plan to hire a nurse/nurses aid for the day to help get the person dressed for the wedding, and be on hand during the day to take care of their needs. They will be coming from a nursing home directly to the ceremony, and be brought back to the nursing home to after the photos. I also envisage having a wheelchair accessible taxi take them to and from the locations, and be available when needed.

My concern are as follows:
    1) Have I missed any details?
    2) Any advice on hiring a nurse/nurses aid, including costs?
    3) Any advice on hiring a taxi service, including general costs?
    4) Has anybody had to do this before? and any advice they could give?

The wedding will be held in Dublin city centre, as will the photos, while the person will be coming in from the Dun Laoghaire area.

Many thanks.

Clauric

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My auntie was in the last stages of cancer when she came to my wedding. She was wheelchair bound...

We made sure she & her hubby knew where all the disables loos were. We ensured staff knew to keep their plates topped up with food and glassed topped up with whatever they wanted to ensure they didn't have to go looking.

We gave them advance notice of where the photos would be and when & also where they should be be so they had plenty of time to be there and feeling comfortable. We also had a photo plan drawn up to ensure the photographer was expecting someone in a wheel chair and made sure both photographs & terrain was suitable.

Regular visits over to them by bride and groom with plenty of hugs made sure they felt more than a casual observer.

Hope that helps :)

Advertisement