Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring home for nets/comms.. Structured wiring question.

Options
  • 29-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I think I asked about this a while back but the time has finally come for wiring the new house for all the goodies etc :D

At the moment my plan is to go with CAT6 all over the house. At least one point/socket in each room. Then for the main rooms (kitchen/living,sitting and study/office) I will have maybe two points at opposit corners of the room with maybe 2-4 sockets in each.

I remember reading before that it was a good idea to install coaxial cable around the house also. Off the top of my head I can only think of security/surveilance as a possible use. Also, I was thinking that if each room had coax then we could put all dvd/sat boxes in the once location and patch them through to wherever was needed.

And what about speakers? I'm not really sure about this at all? I was thinking about having ceiling speakers in all locations too but not sure about the capabilites of speaker wire..What have people done in the past.

Alos, i'm going to be on the lookout for a cheap european(worldwide) supplier of all electrical fixtures..switches/sockets/light fittings etc.. So any links would be appreciated if ye have any.. thanks :)

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So far your plan sounds pretty well thought out. A few years ago I did something similar for my folks when they were buying a house, and it's been very useful in the mean time to be able to liven up phone or data on certain sockets... I didn't run speaker wire around the house, except surround sound in a sitting room but I wish I had done in the kitchen for example...

A few things I wish I had done:

considerig all the different utilities available now such as cable tv & Internet, satellite tv, free to air terrestrial, fixed wireless access, PSTN, ADSL & voip, it would be no harm in running a couple of coaxs & a cat6 to somewhere near the chimney and leave them terminated in an obo box. With sky each tuner needs a coax, and sky + & sky HD set top boxes have more than 1 tuner...

Get high quality coax splitters...cannot over emphasise the importance of this! I scratched my head for months about a low quality tv signal which came down to a crap splitter.

Consider where in each room you're presenting services, bearing in mind likely locations of furniture, tvs, pcs, bedside tables etc... Having as you say 2 point in each corner of each large room is a good plan

Include a cat6 outlet with power for a central wifi access point...

Consider a hood location for a dect cordles phone base station

do you have a central location where all the utility feeds from the street or the roof come in? Maybe getting a 3u patching cabinet there might be an idea, and if you have say a rack of rj45s for the voice data outlets and another rack panel for the coax f types. Temple sales in tallaght used have some good small cabinets that might suit...

In the event of you extending the house in future, is there a good way to get from the central location to where the possible extension may be? No point adding a room on later that'll be isolated...

Cable routes within the building are important. I don't know if you'll be wiring it yourself, or a sparks will be, but just make sure that coax or cat6 isn't being run parallell to mains cables otherwise you'll get interferance...

These are my first thoughts of this - in sure I'll think of more later!

Do you have a central location in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Hey Dardania, thanks for such a detailed reply.

First off, I do have a central location in mind and it's going to be pretty close to the chimney.

I'm just wondering do I actually need coax cable at all? Can you use it for HD video? I've read that you cant.

How did you supply telelphone around the house? I was thinking of doing this over the CAT6 and using an RJ11 jack at the client end. I'm aware thats of the the danger of high voltage etc.

I plan on getting some sort of rack to store the patch panels and also an managed gigabit switch. I still have to figure out the server. Not sure if i'll be putting it into a rack mountable case or just a tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

techguy wrote: »
    Also, I was thinking that if each room had coax then we could put all dvd/sat boxes in the once location and patch them through to wherever was needed.

Then you'd have to go to another room to change the sat channel or pause a DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

you can do hdmi over cat6.(do away with the coax)so if you intend having hd material you can feed it to any part of the house.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Then you'd have to go to another room to change the sat channel or pause a DVD

You can get infrared extenders for CAT6 that should solve that. You make a good point though. I think I still have a lot of planning to do regarding the streaming from set top boxes.

This is probably a question for the HTPC forum. Ideally I would like some software like Tversity,boxee etc to stream all my stuff..movies,music and satellite tv. Then I would just have a media extender like a pinnacle showcenter under each tv.

Is it possible to get software that incorporates tv also..
    John mac wrote: »
    you can do hdmi over cat6.(do away with the coax)so if you intend having hd material you can feed it to any part of the house.

I think i'll scrap the coax in the house as I can't seem to find any use for it. I'll probably just run CCTV (coax+power) cable to a few exterior points for future use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ok Im tired so my view on this is going to be short until tomorrow eveing if thats ok?

Firstly, Cat6, hmmm this is a tricky cable. If your sparks is like most they will install it like mymj and this is going to cause you problems. Make sure your around when install is happening so you can monitor it. Cat 6 has to be installed very carefully. It has less headroom like cat5 so if installed wrong it actually wont perform as good as cat5..

Secondly, Dont dismiss the use of RG6 Coax. Run coax to the rooms. Yes Cat5/6 can run tv and HDMI but you need all these convertors etc for it to work and your average sat tv guy or tv shop dont want to be involved with that. The coax will cost you only a few euro and its a good cable. Remeber its screened so it can be run along side electrical without bother.

Now with regard Cat6 and running along side electrics. this is almost impossible to avoid in a domestic situation. Look your not wiring a certified networks so a little electrical interference wont matter. I put money on it that 95% of data cabling in Ireland is running right along side electrical.. If your not installing yourself you will not be able to monitor this, dont get hung up about it..

Telephone can be distributed over cat5/6 no bother. Im a fan of cheap PBX's for houses. Your talking 200-300 euro and its well worth it. To distribute telco you just run in a second patch panel. Easy peasy!!

Good Idea for CCTV, run either RG59 shotgun or cat 5. Personally though Im all for data cabling I have a love for Coax as its a very good cable for video. Cat5/6 and baluns creates its own problems. Make sure if you have to run cable out doors that its protected or its RG59BU...

In theory though. If a house is properly wired with Cat5/6 everywhere there is nothing you can not run. It handles voice, video, data, audio, security.. Just dont get sucked in by all the gadgets..

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

John mac wrote: »

Yes, but won't you need to buy a converter for each end, costing about 2 or 300 euro? Multiply that by everywhere you want a tv and it all adds up pretty quickly to 4 figure sums, compared to a few euro to throw in a few coax while you can easily do it. And if Sky and Freesat can have HD over coax, then that proves it's not a problem. The general agreement, it appears to me, is to stick 2 coax in every room, and 4 in the main room.

FusionNet wrote: »
    Ok Im tired so my view on this is going to be short until tomorrow eveing if thats ok?

Firstly, Cat6, hmmm this is a tricky cable. If your sparks is like most they will install it like mymj and this is going to cause you problems. Make sure your around when install is happening so you can monitor it. Cat 6 has to be installed very carefully. It has less headroom like cat5 so if installed wrong it actually wont perform as good as cat5..

Secondly, Dont dismiss the use of RG6 Coax. Run coax to the rooms. Yes Cat5/6 can run tv and HDMI but you need all these convertors etc for it to work and your average sat tv guy or tv shop dont want to be involved with that. The coax will cost you only a few euro and its a good cable. Remeber its screened so it can be run along side electrical without bother.

Now with regard Cat6 and running along side electrics. this is almost impossible to avoid in a domestic situation. Look your not wiring a certified networks so a little electrical interference wont matter. I put money on it that 95% of data cabling in Ireland is running right along side electrical.. If your not installing yourself you will not be able to monitor this, dont get hung up about it..

Telephone can be distributed over cat5/6 no bother. Im a fan of cheap PBX's for houses. Your talking 200-300 euro and its well worth it. To distribute telco you just run in a second patch panel. Easy peasy!!

Good Idea for CCTV, run either RG59 shotgun or cat 5. Personally though Im all for data cabling I have a love for Coax as its a very good cable for video. Cat5/6 and baluns creates its own problems. Make sure if you have to run cable out doors that its protected or its RG59BU...

In theory though. If a house is properly wired with Cat5/6 everywhere there is nothing you can not run. It handles voice, video, data, audio, security.. Just dont get sucked in by all the gadgets..

Hey Fusion,

I remember speaking to you about this before :-)

When you talk about installing practices do you mean no tension, sharp bends, pulling, 90degrees when crossing electric cables etc? Is mymj the standard electric cable?

If I ensure that the cable is treated properly during install is it just down to termination after that? I will probably do most of that myself anyway so I can learn and do it right..

Also, I know I have asked this before but just to be safe. I think I will ignore the shielded CAT6 as I have read that it can be troublesome because you have to maintain the shield throughout. If not, then the shield acts like an arial (opposite effect).

On second thoughts it can't be too hard to maintain shield. I can just make up a variety of shielded patch cables for use around the house? Or am I missing something..?

Oh and i'm going to just stick in some coax in each room. can't do any harm and i'm sure it'll come in useful some time. In the future it can be used to distribute CCTV around the house..

Hi Tech guy,

Your dead right. Its all about handling the cabling carefully and as you say no sharp bends or pulling it to hard etc etc. The other thing to consider when building a house is. When electricians pull cable into a steel back box (this is in concrete houses chased) they make s h i t of the cable in the last 8 inches or so, then the plasterer comes along, curls up the cable tight shoves it in the steel box so he can skim coat etc. Problem with this is on another house job I help someone with when I arrived on site after the plasterer did that he broke the wires in the cat6 and basically the client couldnt have a gigabit network ever.

Right regarding the shielded DO NOT even think about it. to do this you need shielded cable, twice the price, shielded modules and patch frames, twice the price and you need a bonded network meaning everything has to be earthed with a seperate earth bar sometimes. Its a pain and for a domestic situation not worth the hassle.

Regarding Coax. remeber RG6 is satellite cable and TV cable, RG59 is CCTV cable. They are designed totally differently so you dont want to use rg6 for CCTV. If you can like suggested run RG59 shotgun cable to your locations. Id recommend your front and back doors, house corners and maybe yard, shed or gate. Obviously depending on layout of house.

Think thats all the questions answered, fire more at me if you need!!!

Ok,

So basically i'll just make sure i'm there to supervise the install of the CAT6 and let the electrician know that if I see any foul looking cable it comes out and get new cable gets laid. I'm sure if I mention that once it should be enough for him/me to take care. I know there is gadgets for testing continuity of a connection but can you get one that will test the quality of the connection and indicate stressed/broken cables?

From what you say about coax and my understanding of it. RG59 to the locations of cameras and RG6 for distribution around the house?

Do you know anything about gate intercoms/keypads? What kind of cable do they require or is proprietry depending on model/manufacturer?

Thanks for all your help.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll be getting to this point in a renovation shortly. My plan is to run 4 WF100 coax from a Quattro LNB to a 5/16 Multiswitch in the attic and from there 2 runs(Shotgun cable) to each of the 8 rooms. This means I can have up to 8 HD/Sky+ STB's. I won't obviously but it means what STB's I will have can be put in whatever room I want now or in the future. I investigated sharing a smaller number of STB's with HDMI/Cat5/6 Matrix switcher and baluns but like someone mentioned above the upfront cost of this kind of system was 4 figures. ie. About 4 years worth of Full Sky with 4 STB subs!! In 4 or 5 years we'd be reducing the number of mirror subs anyway as people start to move out, so the balun route didn't make economical sense. The multiswitch is also able to distribute NTL cable around the house whould we ever go back to NTL. Should we get rid of payTV altogether then I'll have FTA Sat in all rooms and the Multiswitch can take a loft ariel feed for Irish DTT and distribute that around the house too diplexed with the Sat feeds. Found out about this from the guys on the Sat forum just in time.

In terms of Network cabling. I'll be running 2 cat5e to every room. One run for gigabit network and one for phone for the multiroom mirror sub Sky boxes. This way I have a back up if one cable is damaged. ie. swap the phone over to the damaged cable unless its 100% cut through and use the good cable for the network.

I have read that Cat5e is fine for gigabit up to 50-60m runs. I wont have any runs longer than that. Saves the cost of Cat6, the hassle of pulling this more sensitive hard to bend cable and the hassle of the harder to terminate Cat6. People talk of future proofing with Cat6. I presume they mean its 10 gigabit potential. Unless I needed to move a few hundred gigabyte hardrives worth of files around the network every day, I don't know why 1 gigabit wouldn't suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Calibos wrote: »
    In terms of Network cabling. I'll be running 2 cat5e to every room. One run for gigabit network and one for phone for the multiroom mirror sub Sky boxes. This way I have a back up if one cable is damaged. ie. swap the phone over to the damaged cable unless its 100% cut through and use the good cable for the network.

I wonder would it be a good idea to run more cat5s to your main A/V location? Newer tvs are now network-enabled, as are STBs. So, imagine you have the following all vying for a connection:
    - TV
    - STB (eg Humax Foxsat)
    - Media Centre Computer
    - Wii / PS3 / XBox360
    - Media device, eg Popcornhour

You'd have more failsafe cables too. Cheap to add more cable now.

Obviously you could get a switch in to your one connection, but then you need power for that too.

Hey Calibos,

You seem to have things well though out.. I would like to go p15574 on the number cat5e cables however. I think 2 terminations is probably fine for bedrooms etc but I would advise putting 4 in primary locations like study/kitchen/living room etc.. and possibly on both sides of the rooms if they are big. "Networked" is the way everything is going, slowly but surely and it would be an awful pain to run out.

You make a really good point about distributing the satellite feed to the rooms and putting a box in each room then. I hadn't though of that :o:o

Also, just so i'm clear aswell. 90 metre (max) runs + 10(5+5) for patching. I don't think it will be an issue though.

I knew upfront that in one or two locations I'd need a switch to share a run like P15574(say that after a few jars :D ) said. There is at least a double or two doubles mains points in any location that might need a switch anyway, so power for a switch is no problem. I already knew I'd need a 4 port gigabit switch in some rooms besides the main 24 porter in the attic. One in the dedicated Home-Cinema room where there would be a PS3,Wii,360, Ion based minipc running XBMC and one in the Kitchen where there will be an XBMC, Drobo server and Broadband Router. Every other room has a desktop PC or wireless Laptop or XBMC but only one of the three. Unfortunatly adding another Cat5e port to a wallplate pushes all rooms over to needing 2 wall plates each. Those buggers are expensive when you add them all up. With one Cat5e port I save on doubling all wall plates in the house and can just add a cheap gigabit 4 port switch to rooms as needed in the future. I am not worried about bandwidth. Put it this way, 100mbit is enough to carry multiple HD streams from the server to multiple rooms at the same time. The only reason I am fitting gigabit switches is that on rare occasions I might want to move hardrive amounts of data from the servers to/from the desktops/laptops.

In terms of the wall plates, it'll be bad enough that every room would have a double mains plate and double sized 2xSat/Cat5/Phone but if I added another Cat5e port that pushed me over to two plates some rooms would have 2 double mains and Double sized 2xSat/Cat5/Phone and Single Sized Cat5 and Double sized 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker plate and Hdmi & Scart plate. Thats a lot of extra wall plates to pay for and in some rooms a row of wall plates 2 or 3 feet long :D I think I'll stick with some 4 port switches if and when needed to share a Cat5 point. :D

And anyway, assuming all Cat5 runs were undamaged, in the future if needed I could rewire the phone Cat5 ports to carry both Network and phone (using the unused twisted pairs) Don't expect my Sparks to have the knowledge to do that but I can do it myself in the future if need be or right now if he has the knowledge.

The thoughts of getting the house wired to cover all the bases and the thoughts of what type of cool gear will eventually be put in is very exciting, but by jaysus is it headwrecking and more like work/homework when one actually has to sit down and plan the topology (thats whats its called isn't it) of not just Network, but Tv and even mains power and lights. Not just taking into consideration what and where one will be fitting now but what and where one might concievable fit things in the future. :D

Budget meant I had to really examine the economics and do a cost/benefit analysis on every idea. I know it is much cheaper in the long run to put any kind of wiring in now but its not really the cost of the actual cabling thats a worry budget wise but the labour cost in adding so many more runs of this or that cabling wise. For instance, in terms of the cost benefit analysis of wiring for an alarm. Once I added up the cost of all the sensors I'd need and thus cable runs I knew I couldn't afford it budget wise. I know a wireless system will cost more to install in the future but I know I won't really need it for a few years anyway. 7 adults in the house and always 2 or 3 home at least at any given time. By the time some people move out the cost of a wireless system wont be an issue. But it is right now with a finite renovation budget. I also thought about cameras but its a busy street almost too well lit with a street light about 3 yards from the house. One couldn't break in without being seen. And sure multiple cameras would just tell someone there was something worth stealing in the house anyway. Thats the kind of cost benefit I had to do for everything, to keep within budget. Very quickly ruled out intelligent networked Light switches or networked central heating etc. Huge extra cost just to save someone getting up off their fat ass to go turn the heating up/down. An IR dimmer switch in a few rooms will be enough luxury and will do me grand :D

Will be worth all the headaches in the end though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

I've done much of the above. Nomadically vague's advice is good.

There is a lot to think about. The network cable is probably the most future proofing thing you can do.

I’ve done what you are doing and didn’t get all of it right. Here’s my thoughts.

1. I used cat 6 - this is the one to use (dont know anything about fibre obtics though). 100mb cable is slow for file transfer - period. And it’s obsolete.

2. Problems - none. My electrician installed it - first time dealing with network cable too. He stuck to the ‘can run across but not along side rule’. No problems with it despite an absolute spaghetti of wires. gotta a network guy to connect the network face plates.

2. lots of coaxial cable to everywhere you might wish to view a tv.

3. have at least 4 coaxials running to your main sitting room in case you wish to set up a htpc. You need one cable for each satellite feed and one for Irish dtt or analogue.

4. I’d say go freesat and add at least coaxial 8 feeds from your roof to the central point. Add to that a tv ariel feed. Leave space for more. 1 sky dish can run 8 feeds.

5. place lots of cctv feeds around the outside back to a central point. Have a coaxial feed from that point to your central coaxial cable gathering point for cctv feed back to your tv's. (might need a loftbox for that. )

6. place a cat 6 feed to everywhere you might view a tv.

7. place a cat 6 feed to everywhere you might want to place a wifi radio or a music source.

8. Place a tv phone point to everywhere you might have a network cable.

9. Place a cat 6 feed + power to outside your house for ip cameras.

10. Aim to have a pc in your sitting room beside your pc with wires and gubbins all hidden.

11. If your tv is to be up high then that is where your coaxial, network and power feeds should be.

12. Use a switch at your central network cable gathering point (as opposed to a router). my switch can handle 24 network feeds.

Now what you can do.

Record several satellite channels (& analogue) simulenteanously.
    Watch sky player on demand for "free" on your tv. It works perfectly in win 7 mce. Top quality.
    Watch the fantastic bbc i player content (easy to get in even here in the free state) at perfect quality on your tv. It too will soon be available on freesat.
    Source and feed your music and videos anywhere in the house.
    Watch your cctv from any tv or pc screen - including on the internet.

Plug a router and other wireless access points to any fixed network point - maximising the wifi coverage. They will work with the switch with no conflicts and provide internet to every wired network point.
    Stream music remotely all over the place.
    Same with wifi radio including the fantastic last.fm - regardless of restrictions.

If you have several digiboxes consider placing them in a central point and use tv link compatible amps to distribute them round the house – eg one digibox can do several rooms all remotely controllable.

As for surround sound – I personally wouldn’t bother. ditto for dedicated piped music that some people used to think was the dogs business.

Hope this helps - much of it already covered but as I've done it I thought I'd report on experience.

I can see your point about piped music. With the likes of an XBMC streamer in most rooms one has 'piped' Movies,Tv Shows and Music anyone. Only missing out on Synchronised music but who needs the same music playing in every room in the house at the same time. The one room where I considered this was where most people would gather when entertaining and that was the Kitchen/Diner and formal dining room whish when the double doors between are opened makes a huge entertainment space. But even here I just put a secondary set of speakers wired to the 5.1 amp in the kitchen/diner. I didn't see a need tor the likes of a Sonos system anywhere in the house.

In terms of Satellite, one Octo Sky LNB can feed 8 non sky+ or SD boxes but remember Sky+ or Sky HD require to feeds from the dish. If you wanted the latter you could only feed 4 rooms with an Octo. This was what I was going to be doing till the Sat forum guys caught me in time and advise on a Quattro LNB feed a 5/16 Multiswitch that can feed Sky HD/+ to 8 rooms or 16 rooms if using SD boxes. And they make bigger multiswitches than that!!

In terms of Cat6. By all accounts its harder to install, more delicate, harder to terminate and the only advantage it has over Cat5e is it can go up to 10gbit. What home would ever need that kind of bandwidth. Cat5e is grand for gigabit speeds in a domestic environment, unless one lives in a 100 metre long mansion house. :D

Just want to make a not on the "what house will need 10gb" comment. When we cable we cable for a future proofing solution for 10 to 15 years. You can not re-wire a house cheaply. In ten years with the progression of technology I assure you cat5e will not cope with the demands. I know this because ive seen it in person. Cat5e falls over at small data transfers. Ive seen it not be able to handle HD CCTV which transmits only 80gb per second. Even though its rated for 100gb it didnt work.

As far as cat6 at the gate for IP CCTV. IP CCTV is currently rubbish on budget end you need to spend thousands to get quality but saying that run the cat6 and use baluns with analogues kit for now with the view that in 5 years IP CCTV will be improved...

Advertisement