Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Judicial System: Rape of a child a lesser crime than the rape an adult

Options
  • 29-01-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

PLEASE DELETE, WRONG FORUM. THANK YOU.
    I come to Boards.ie in the hope that someone can offer justification in this matter. I'm sure we all agree that rape is a heinous crime in any circumstances, imposed on any individual be them of any age, gender, race etc etc.

Can someone please answer me why there is such inconsistencies in final legal/justification rulings in these matters. It is apparent that the Irish society views the rape of a child to a lesser degree than that of an adult.
    I present 3 cases of rape. 1 of the cases presented reflects the rape/abuse of an adult whilst the others reflects the rape/abuse of children.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0129/piotrowskie.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0126/currye.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0128/doyleg.html

Why is there such a massive difference in these sentences?

In the case of Piotrowskie I present a quote from the RTE newsroom
    "Edward Piotrowski, who is from Poland, but has an address at Clonmullen Hall, Edenderry, Co Offaly, told his victim during the two-and-a-half-hour ordeal that he would kill her and her partner."

Please remember that the sexual abuse of a child is highly traumatic for the younger mind, noone can say for sure what was said to the child during the repeated terms of abuse. The child may not be able to recall what was said.
    It seems to me that the Irish Judicial system readily accepts that the rape and abuse of children is a lesser crime than the rape and abuse of an adult. Why are there such inconsistencies in cases of rape? Surely rape is rape. Why are child sex offenders getting lesser sentences?

Or is their an ulterior motive hiding beneath all this?
    We all know that the catholic church holds massive precedence in the Irish state. Are these lenient sentences imposed for the rape of children presently making way for lesser sentences for religious figureheads in the future?

Irish Judicial System: Rape of a child a lesser crime than the rape an adult.

Your views please. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why is this in the Irish Economy forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 AtariBaby

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why is this in the Irish Economy forum?
    I got the wrong forum. Any suggestions as to where it should be placed?
    Is there a general discussion area present on boards.ie. Thanks for any help.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There are a number of different fora you could post in:
    1) Legal Discussion - to discuss whether your thesis is true or not (it isn't);
    2) Humanities - to discuss the implications of your thesis if true (which it isn't);
    3) Politics (Main forum) - to discuss whether there should be mandatory or presumptive minimum sentences for child abuse (perhaps)
    4) After Hours - to discuss whether hanging them by the testicles or feeding them into a woodchipper is the appropriate sanction for the offences.

As your post is of the anecdotal evidence/diatribe variety, I might suggest After Hours, where everyone will agree with you that the Irish criminal justice system is corrupt unfair and judges are out of touch and these criminals should be chemically castrated.

Advertisement