Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batt O'Keeffe being a bit reactionary about the UL President's house

Options
  • 29-01-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

So, Batty O'Keeffe is commissioning a report on Don's new gaff. No taxpayers cash was used. Proper plans were submitted. The HEA I'm assuming knew at some level what was happening. Someone probably told Batty at some stage what was going on, but he was too busy shafting students with threats of fees.....

Basically, its a cheap place in a prime location (free site :P), 5 beds for under €2million!!

I'd like to know what Batty thinks is extravagance...Personally the last time I had the displeasure of meeting the minister, he breezed past a small, peaceful demonstration by 8 shivering students on a cold saturday morning. At that time he had 2 squad cars with 4 guards and a personal protective detail of 4 detectives himself....

People in glass houses Batty Boy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

People in glass houses :D

To buy a house for 1.1 million is one thing, but to spend 1.1 million building a house is quite another. Especially when the land itself cost nothing. Must be some house.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Sleipnir wrote: »
    People in glass houses :D

To buy a house for 1.1 million is one thing, but to spend 1.1 million building a house is quite another. Especially when the land itself cost nothing. Must be some house.

If its that good i want to go on a sleepover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It's just a load of hot air. The house was built using donations that were specifically for building the house. It's ridiculous.
    As for an enquiry being called? Batt O'Keefe is full of shíte as usual. If he looked after real issues instead of chasing something like this he'd be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

At most the president is going to be there for a shortish time, there is little chance of someone staying in the job their entire life. therefore he has to live somewhere.

Also UL has always tried to attract the best people for the job, there has to be some insentive to do this.

This begrudgery has been there since the days UL was known as NIHE. whingers giving out because the first lecturers weren't irish. they were hired because they were the best at their job, not because they were irish.

In the long term it will save money as future presidents will not have to buy or rent accomodation when they take up office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ye have to agree its a non issue and easy headlines for the minister

i could see some problem if it was out of funding that could have gone somewhere else but seen as it was specifically fundraised for i dontthink its a big deal

any pictures? id love to see what they buily for 1.1million you could get an unbelievable house with all the latest technology / gym / pool / sauna for that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It has an A3 energy rating and has won architectural awards. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing to some, but it's growing on me.

From my point of view, and that of the Union as we have already stated, it is a positive addition to the University as it allows internationalisation of the presidential post.

The money was provided for this purpose, so realistically, unless the University wanted to look a gift horse in the mouth, building the house was the only option.

Personally, I think the "report" is a waste of money, taxpayers' money at that, and I will be conveying this in writing to the minister's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

constantg wrote: »
    So, Batty O'Keeffe is commissioning a report on Don's new gaff. No taxpayers cash was used. Proper plans were submitted. The HEA I'm assuming knew at some level what was happening. Someone probably told Batty at some stage what was going on, but he was too busy shafting students with threats of fees.....

Basically, its a cheap place in a prime location (free site :P), 5 beds for under €2million!!

I'd like to know what Batty thinks is extravagance...Personally the last time I had the displeasure of meeting the minister, he breezed past a small, peaceful demonstration by 8 shivering students on a cold saturday morning. At that time he had 2 squad cars with 4 guards and a personal protective detail of 4 detectives himself....

People in glass houses Batty Boy....

Fees are there in everything but name. Is this any differnt from spending money on art work or sculpture? The house will have a practical purpose that will benefit the university. Where would dignitaries normally stay before the house existed?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

PeakOutput wrote: »
    any pictures? id love to see what they buily for 1.1million you could get an unbelievable house with all the latest technology / gym / pool / sauna for that price

One here from the limerick leader website. Its an image generated by the architect and not an actual photo. Does the building a lot of justice as it doesnt actually look that nice imo. The side facing the road is not that nice and is basically just concrete. Like the bmw and merc parked in front of it too :p

TH0_291201052Don%20Barry%20house.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Where is it being built on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Delta Kilo wrote: »

On the other side of the river, between the Health Science building and Cappavilla village. You can just about make them out in the background of the image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I see the independent is trying to make this into some sort of scandal.

Meanwhile, a consignment of stones has been delivered to a very well known politicians glass house. wether or not he choses to throw them around a little remains to be seen

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jan/24/high-life-batt-okeeffe-spent-5700-on-vip-airport-c/

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

To be honest I couldn't agree more about those in perilous political circumstances flinging pebbles! How long ago did we see that Batty Boy was getting a couple of different pensions!

And how about his monumental fu*k up over closing the nation's schools en masse, only to reopen them a day later and wash his hands of the need to make up the days???

Absolute tosser imho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Construction is complete. You can't really see it from the South Bank, but if you stand outside the ICO you can see it fairly well.

And if there's a Merc or Beemer parked outside it won't be Don's, he's not the extravagant type.

ninty9er wrote: »
    And if there's a Merc or Beemer parked outside it won't be Don's, he's not the extravagant type.

To be fair ninty9er, I couldn't agree more. Having worked with both of them (Don & Paul McCutcheon, VPAR) last year I can safely say that they are two of the most unpretentious people I have ever met.

This is clearly either someone from Batty Boy's office leaking in order to have him ride in and save the day with his report or its someone whose contract wasn't renewed/cut and they're deciding to release completely unclassified material to a sensationalist 'news' paper.

If memory serves there was a story of a similar style written by a Local Leader newspaper last year regarding RAG week arrests, 100% of which were unrelated to ULSU RAG week activities and 90% of which didn't even take place in Castletroy. Of those 90%, all of them occured the weekend preceding RAG week. To the best of my knowledge no UL students were involved in those arrests.

But I digress....

Essentially its tabloidism by a 'broadsheet' and gutter press.

Having worked with both of them (Don & Paul McCutcheon, VPAR) last year I can safely say that they are two of the most unpretentious people I have ever met.

That having been said, one wonders will Don be cycling/walking to work from his new gaff or will he be contribute to pollution and campus congestion by insisting on driving???

Perhaps the new ULSU exec will offer the Cappavilla Citadel's newest resident a free bike from their shop as a goodwill gesture? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

Its a mighty fine pile of bulls**t in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Rio 2016 wrote: »
    Its a mighty fine pile of bulls**t in my eyes

what part?

Advertisement