Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bars and brakes on Bowery

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been happily commuting on my 2008 Giant Bowery for the last year or so. I usually ride with my hands on the brake hoods and I rarely make use of the drops, so for comfort I was thinking of swapping the handlebars to a flat handlebar model.

So could anyone recommend a set of flat handlebars and brakes that would be a good match for the Bowery?

After a search on the forum I did find a reference to these brake levers: Shimano Brakes but if there are better ones for the job just let me know.

Besides buying the bar and brakes is there anything else I'd need, such as stem, spacers etc? I also presume I don't need to change the actual brake callipers?

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I changed the handlebars on my Langster last year, as I didn't like the track bars that came with it.

I put a pair of riser mtb handlebars on mine and got a hacksaw to make them a bit narrower.

I then just put on different brake levers, these ones

It was very easy to do and I'm sure it'd be the same for the Bowery as the Langster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You just need the brake levers, the bar and grips. The bars are 31.8mm ("OS") so look for a flat bar in that dimension. CRC will have cheap bars. The levers you selected will work fine with your existing calipers.

You don't need a new stem to make it all work. However if you normally ride with your hands on the hood flat bars will bring you further back so you may want a longer stem to compensate. You want to compare with your current position on the flats- is that comfortable?

To be honest if you prefer riding with your hands on the hoods I wouldn't change to flats.

If you do want a longer stem I have a 130mm to fit 26.2mm bars- I also have flat bars to go with that.

Another option would be bullhorns, you get both the flat and the "hood" position with them, without the drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Thanks for the info guys! Seems like a job I should be able to tackle!

Cheers!

PS:
    @Blorg
    The main reason I ride on the hoods is just to have the brakes at the ready, so I'm happy enough to be more up right on the bike. But it is a good point you make, so I'll double check the position suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alternatively you could just add a pair of cross brake levers to the tops...

Advertisement