Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Designer wanted!

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi Lads,

I'm looking for someone to design a site for me on the cheap as a nixer..
    Nothing to comprehensive.
    I want it to be comprised of 4 or 5 pages, a decent Flash intro and a gallery for Pics, Audio links and later to be added video clips.. Overall it needs to be professional. I have the domain registered and a decent amount of hosting space/quota.
    Can anyone send me some of their own portfolio in a PM with how much they are willing to do it for on the cheap?
    Or just post a link to some of your work in the comments section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

My advice to you is to acknowledge that "cheap" and "professional" rarely successfully go together. However, it does depend on what your definition of "professional" really is.

As a matter of interest, what will this website represent? (E.g. business, personal, other).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shamonemofo

My advice to you is to acknowledge that "cheap" and "professional" rarely successfully go together. However, it does depend on what your definition of "professional" really is.

As a matter of interest, what will this website represent? (E.g. business, personal, other).

Well by professional i mean... i don't want it to look like sh*t and i want an artistic touch to it... It's personal/business.. basically a music site.

Something that has specific functionality that can later be edited by myself.. I'm not a designer but naturally i'll want to have regular control on updating it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Websites are something that the man on the street always wants done on the cheap because they can't comprehend how they can be so expensive. Just like they can't comprehend the amount of time and hard work that goes into them.

Websites are something that the man on the street always wants done on the cheap because they can't comprehend how they can be so expensive. Just like they can't comprehend the amount of time and hard work that goes into them.

look... i'm not looking for an assesment of my own comprehension of the subject.
    I want a response from an individual who will do as i outlined.
    If it's not you.. then no need to post. Cheers.

How much are you willing to spend?

• Advertisement

Enough...

If you send me through a PM with some work you have done and your charges, i'll consider it.
    Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Just two points I want to make:

-- You won't get a site build for professionals on the cheap. I know money is an issue for a lot of people but a good site is simply something you need to invest money in.

-- A few of the things you want on the site such as 'Flash intros' are very dated and considered bad practice in terms of usability. Ideally, you should tell your website designer who you are and what you do and let them come up with a solution using their professional experience and skills. They know the internet and its users more than you do.

It always amazes me how little value people put on good web design but it's not your fault OP, it's just the perception people have especially in this country.

I can tell you I have had to redesign and redevelop no less than three sites in the last 6 months because the original work was so poor and shoddy the client had to end up forking out again to get a proper job done.

Best of luck with it, and I hope I have shed some light on the subject.

Thanks for your comments. Please don't enlighten me any further :D, i will look elsewhere. Thanks

I agree in part with you, except I don't blame the man on the street (the customer), I blame the reason why they think it can be done on the cheap. Which is the countless cowboys out there that take advantage of people who think they know what needs to go in to successful website and give them what they ask for, which costs very little to deliver.

@shamonemofo the truth is from your description of what you need I could deliver it to you for about €100. Wow that sounds like an amazing offer, but wait, I assure you it's not. Now lets just imagine I didn't say €100 to you there, and instead you got plenty of responses with 3 figure quotes attached ( €100 > quote < €1000 ), does that mean you are getting value for money. How do you know?

Well let's establish what your expectations are...
    Nothing to comprehensive.
    What does that mean to you?
    a decent Flash intro
    Do the people you are marketing the site towards still want to see Flash intro's or is that you want a flash intro?
    Is that not a bit 10 years ago?
    Define "decent"?

When you are focusing purely on the visual aesthetics you are leaving yourself open to criticism over something that is purely subjective.

However you did say...
    I'm not a designer but naturally i'll want to have regular control on updating it
    Do you want to be able to update the presentation/structure of the site?
    or
    Just make content changes?
    My advice to you is to understand the difference between design and content and what constitutes content. This will save from a difficult situation later.

Ultimately, what is the goal of the website?
    What is your strategy for achieving this goal? or do you want professional help with this strategy? or do you want to leave it for today while you think about this strategy yourself, prior to asking for something that will strategically help you reach your goal?

Do you see where I'm coming from?, you are no different from many others that frequent these forums looking for "professional" on the "cheap". I am trying to do you a favour here and giving you a heads up so you don't end up spending 3 figures every time you realise that what you thought you needed was in fact not all you needed.
    Can anyone send me some of their own portfolio in a PM with how much they are willing to do it for on the cheap?
    You are implying that people show you their normal work to give you an idea of how they "look" as opposed to "how successful they are" and then you'll what?, benchmark the quality of their service based on that?. Then you want them in the same response to offer you a quote without going in to any detail. Your description could be applied to a lot of websites.

shamonemofo, I am trying to help you here so you don't end up in the same situation that many others on this board (even from posts today) are in. These situations are of complete dissatisfaction as a result of falling from the oldest trick in the book....Rushing in with a few ballpark ideas to people who know fine well you are not thinking strategically about the problem you are trying to solve or the place you are trying to get to, instead they will take those 3 figures from you today and tell you everything you want to hear. In a short amount of time you'll come on here feeling taken advantage of and starting threads about problems with your web designer.

Don't rush it, formalize/discuss everything and know what you want to get out of it. Listen to advice offered. Beware of the guy that says "Ah you don't have to worry about all that stuff, I can give you all that you want for very little".

Now I better get back to work, I've just given you my lunch break for free ;)

I agree in part with you, except I don't blame the man on the street (the customer), I blame the reason why they think it can be done on the cheap. Which is the countless cowboys out there that take advantage of people who think they know what needs to go in to successful website and give them what they ask for, which costs very little to deliver.

@shamonemofo the truth is from your description of what you need I could deliver it to you for about €100. Wow that sounds like an amazing offer, but wait, I assure you it's not. Now lets just imagine I didn't say €100 to you there, and instead you got plenty of responses with 3 figure quotes attached ( €100 > quote < €1000 ), does that mean you are getting value for money. How do you know?

Well let's establish what your expectations are...
    What does that mean to you?

Do the people you are marketing the site towards still want to see Flash intro's or is that you want a flash intro?
    Is that not a bit 10 years ago?
    Define "decent"?

When you are focusing purely on the visual aesthetics you are leaving yourself open to criticism over something that is purely subjective.

However you did say...
    Do you want to be able to update the presentation/structure of the site?
    or
    Just make content changes?
    My advice to you is to understand the difference between design and content and what constitutes content. This will save from a difficult situation later.

Ultimately, what is the goal of the website?
    What is your strategy for achieving this goal? or do you want professional help with this strategy? or do you want to leave it for today while you think about this strategy yourself, prior to asking for something that will strategically help you reach your goal?

Do you see where I'm coming from?, you are no different from many others that frequent these forums looking for "professional" on the "cheap". I am trying to do you a favour here and giving you a heads up so you don't end up spending 3 figures every time you realise that what you thought you needed was in fact not all you needed.

You are implying that people show you their normal work to give you an idea of how they "look" as opposed to "how successful they are" and then you'll what?, benchmark the quality of their service based on that?. Then you want them in the same response to offer you a quote without going in to any detail. Your description could be applied to a lot of websites.

shamonemofo, I am trying to help you here so you don't end up in the same situation that many others on this board (even from posts today) are in. These situations are of complete dissatisfaction as a result of falling from the oldest trick in the book....Rushing in with a few ballpark ideas to people who know fine well you are not thinking strategically about the problem you are trying to solve or the place you are trying to get to, instead they will take those 3 figures from you today and tell you everything you want to hear. In a short amount of time you'll come on here feeling taken advantage of and starting threads about problems with your web designer.

Don't rush it, formalize/discuss everything and know what you want to get out of it. Listen to advice offered. Beware of the guy that says "Ah you don't have to worry about all that stuff, I can give you all that you want for very little".

Now I better get back to work, I've just given you my lunch break for free ;)

I mock your value system... thanks for this post. I haven't time to read it though ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comments. Please don't enlighten me any further :D, i will look elsewhere. Thanks

Translation: No no guys seriously!!, that's not what I want to hear.

Best of luck to you, /now give me back my lunch break :(

correct! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Translation: No no guys seriously!!, that's not what I want to hear.

Best of luck to you, /now give me back my lunch break :(

Don't fear - keep your advice coming, I'm all new to this so am soaking it up ;)

i'm glad somebody is learning ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

can you elaborate some more on want you want, updating the site, do you mean the content?
    A Flash intro is pretty dated also and google cant really see it, its not great for seo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'd say if you wanted only a 4/5 page site with a cool design, you could get someone to do it for about €800, which isnt bad. Thats what I usually charge if I am doing a cheap nixer for someone. I'd agree with skelliser about the flash intro tho, its very outdated and unnecessary

maybe not a flash intro... i was going by advise..
    I want to be able to edit the content i.e text and imaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Still haven't seen a budget here. It's pretty much the first thing you'd give if you're looking to hire someone if money is an issue.

So, go on then. What's the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

maybe not a flash intro... i was going by advise..
    I want to be able to edit the content i.e text and imaging.

ha

hmmm editing the content. That is something that most freelance people would usually charge extra for, it requires much more coding. If you are looking for something cheapish, your best bet would be a 4/5 page static website

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Your work proposal sounds seriously untempting. 'Cheap as a nixer' ha, that's gas. That is exactly how professional designers work!

As soon as I hear cheap and then see a list of costly requirements I know to run for the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Well then best of luck with it but recognise that people are trying to help and advise you by giving their valuable time to reply to you in this thread, so comments that could be seen as blasé won't do much for your cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

what OP will want

universe.jpg

what he'll get

Benitoite%20Fee%20Dig,%20Oct%2007,%20My%20Big%2079ct,%203x2.5x1.5cm%20Stoneyblue%20Benioite.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

here you go, I think this should help clear things up here....

http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p.html

clearly there is an abundance of cash flowing through the fingers of the web designers on this post.

It's blatantly obvious that i do not know what i want...:eek:
    I'm NOT a web designer nor developer nor programmer!

I'm looking for someone to consult with not "Take up Council" with...
    Positive feedback has been received and i apprciate that.. but if this is the response from "Actual" working professionals in the industry.. I'm sorry for your pay packet! and communication skills... anyone who wants to comply with my original post and send me a link or some form of portfolio i can look at, please feel free. Money is not entirely a problem.. i specified cheap as am "Oblivious" to expect what to be charged.

Gracias! :pac:

Your attitude stinks and I truly hope you get the website you deserve.

Your attitude stinks and I truly hope you get the website you deserve.

So does your username buddy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what do you need updating? is it for a band?
    would a 4/5 page static site with an inbuilt blog suffice?

What your suggesting is a content management system which from what i gather is overkill from what i think you would need. Like is the site gonna be selling stuff or a brochure point of contact.

skelliser wrote: »
    what do you need updating? is it for a band?
    would a 4/5 page static site with an inbuilt blog suffice?

What your suggesting is a content management system which from what i gather is overkill from what i think you would need. Like is the site gonna be selling stuff or a brochure point of contact.

yeah it's for a group... Can you send me an example of what ur suggestin Skelliser? Wouldn't be selling anything as such but there would be a requirement to link in paypal somewhere..

More so Brochure contact etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement