Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste collection in Dublin city (renters)

Options
  • 29-01-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving soon, it's my first time renting a house and I'm very confused about the issue of waste and bin charges in the Dublin city area.
    I assume that the tenant pays for the bins to be collected, but do I have to register with the council or something too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Where I am (D7, near the city centre) you buy bintags at €3 a pop and stick it on the bag of rubbish and leave it out for collection on Thursday morning. Easiest thing is too keep an eye on what your neighbours are doing or ask one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It varies depending on where you are and the type of property I would imagine. I used to be in an apartment block in Dublin 1, there were common large bins in the underground car park, used by everyone (cost was covered by the management company = landlords and not the tenants).

Where I am now, in Dublin 18, in a self contained own door apartment, we just have regular wheelie bins that the tenant pays for.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

J-blk wrote: »
    It varies depending on where you are and the type of property I would imagine. I used to be in an apartment block in Dublin 1, there were common large bins in the underground car park, used by everyone (cost was covered by the management company = landlords and not the tenants).

Where I am now, in Dublin 18, in a self contained own door apartment, we just have regular wheelie bins that the tenant pays for.

It's a house on an old residential road. The neighbours have probably been there since time began so they might be able to shed light on the situation.

Blacey wrote: »
    It's a house on an old residential road.

With a house, I would imagine you have your own wheelie bins (or bag tags maybe?) and you pay for them - some landlords might include them as part of your rent, but TBH, I don't think that's very common.

Was it not clarified by the landlord or in your lease, what (if any) bills are included in the rent? If they don't explicitly say they'll cover the cost, then it's up to you to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

J-blk wrote: »
    Was it not clarified by the landlord or in your lease, what (if any) bills are included in the rent? If they don't explicitly say they'll cover the cost, then it's up to you to pay for them.

I'm signing the lease on Wednesday, will ask them then, but I thought I'd check on here first. Trying to get money in order and all that. I'm assuming that I pay the costs, but it's just not very clear on the Dublin City Council website just how to do that. They say how much it is, but do they send a bill etc? I don't want to be stung for the previous tenant's charges

• Advertisement

I can't comment on DCC so hopefully someone here can give you more info - though I'm sure the landlord or neighbors can help you out with the specific info. I would assume you will need some account set up with DCC and as your lease works as proof of when you moved in, I don't see how you would be held liable for the previous tenant(s) costs so I wouldn't worry about it.

In my case (I'm with Panda), the previous tenant had done a runner and left unpaid/open accounts for all kinds of things (like Panda themselves, UPC, etc) but it was never a problem to call them up and explain things, set up new accounts in my name and they chase down the previous tenant for what is owned them - it has nothing to do with me.

Like I said above, I'm not quite sure how things work with DCC, but common sense would be that you get a new account or reference or something and what the previous tenant did (or did not do) is not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I rent out my old house in the DCC area. Ultimately the owner of the house/landlord is responsible for chasing up old tenants to pay outstanding bills etc, but you pay the bills while you are living there. You need to ring DCC revenue on 2224899 to check whose name is currently on the bill. You can then put your name on the bill from when you moved in. I faxed a copy of the tenancy agreement to 4738705 to prove that the new tenant had taken over the bill.

Advertisement