Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The size of that......Moon

Options
  • 29-01-2010 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was amazed at the size of the Moon this morning on my way to work (Dublin) never seen it so big - well probably have but a long time ago.

Will it be that big tonight again? I'd like to head out with the camera and get some nice landscape/urban photos with it in the back ground.

Ta
    Neon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Moon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tzf60

Travelling north on the M50, it looked like the moon was sitting on the bridge at Carrickmines! What an unbelieveable sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

The moon is at it's closses to the earth at ~9am saturday. This is why it looks so large and it will apparently ne a little larger tomorrow morning.

Also full moon is just after 6am tomorrow, with moon set just after 8am.

A larger effect is that the moon appears larger in our perception when it is close to the horrizon. Add together that illusion, the full moon and perigee and it looks largest in a year.

Calchas

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

calchas wrote: »
    The moon is at it's closses to the earth at ~9am saturday. This is why it looks so large and it will apparently ne a little larger tomorrow morning.

Also full moon is just after 6am tomorrow, with moon set just after 8am.

A larger effect is that the moon appears larger in our perception when it is close to the horrizon. Add together that illusion, the full moon and perigee and it looks largest in a year.

Calchas

Looks like I'll be getting an early start tomorrow morning for some photography so. Thanks for the info.

the forecast for dublin suggest some clear sky. I hope to be out too. in many ways a few thin whispy clouds make these shots better.
    We'll see tomorrow am (pun intended)

Calchas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

calchas wrote: »
    the forecast for dublin suggest some clear sky. I hope to be out too. in many ways a few thin whispy clouds make these shots better.
    We'll see tomorrow am (pun intended)

Calchas

Now I have to find out a good spot to take some photos with the moon in full view...any good locations ?

I'm thinking of a field gate near home, that has a view to the western (Meath) horizon. If it helps you choose the moons sets at ~296deg on the horizon.

Also the moon rise is 16:15, so those on the way home should get a nice sight if the eastern (ENE) horizon is clear.

Advertisement