Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warner retiring

Options
  • 29-01-2010 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck to him after football, a certain HOF in my eyes. His football life will be a huge box office smash if its made by the right people imo.
    Cardinals QB Warner expected to announce retirement Friday

NFL.com Wire Reports

A retirement press conference is planned for Cardinals QB Kurt Warner on Friday, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, with the star also likely to discuss future post-playing plans.
    The 38-year-old quarterback performed at a Pro Bowl level again for Arizona in 2009, but also suffered another concussion and has been mulling retirement for several years now. Warner could be poised to pursue coaching or broadcasting post-retirement, La Canfora reports.

Warner, who has led two franchises to the Super Bowl and one to a Lombardi Trophy, paced the Cardinals to an 11-7 season, including a wild playoff victory over Green Bay, one year after directing Arizona on a stunning run to the Super Bowl.
    The Cardinals were eliminated in the divisional round by New Orleans, in which Warner was pounded hard several times.
    The press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Friday at the team's training facility in Tempe.
    Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle discussed Warner after Wednesday’s NFC Pro Bowl practice.
    "We would love for Kurt to come back but it’s going to be his decision," Rolle said. "I’ve had five great years with Kurt and I’ll definitely miss him if he’s not there, but Kurt’s decision is going to be Kurt’s decision."
    Warner has one year left, worth about $11.5 million, on the two-year contract he signed before last season. But the day after Arizona was eliminated in 45-14 loss to the Saints, he said money would not be a significant factor in his decision.
    "I don't want to come back just to get the paycheck or just because I've signed that contract if I can't do everything that I would want to do or if I'm not willing to do everything that I've done in the past," Warner said at the time. "That's the bottom line."
    He said that although he loves the games themselves, it's the long hours of physical and mental preparation that wear on him.
    "The farther I've gotten into this, the more and more I demand of myself, that's physically, staying in shape because I'm older, that's mentally in preparing and putting in work and time to try to help put this thing together the way that I want it put together," Warner said. "All that stuff gets more and more a burden every year."
    If Warner decides to step away, it will be the end of a remarkable story of rags to riches to rags then riches again. After toiling in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, with a stint stocking grocery shelves, Warner was 28 when injuries to others made him the starting quarterback for the St. Louis Rams.
    What followed was a magical season that ended with the Rams NFL champions and Warner the league and Super Bowl MVP. He got the "Greatest Show on Turf" back to the Super Bowl two years later, where the Rams lost to New England.
    But after an injury-plagued 2002 season, he was sacked six times and suffered a concussion in a 2003 season-opening loss to the New York Giants. He never started for St. Louis again.
    He signed a free agent contract with the Giants for 2004, but was replaced by rookie Eli Manning after nine games. Warner came to the Cardinals in 2005 and was an off-and-on starter before replacing the injured Matt Leinart part way through the 2007 season.
    Warner had to beat out Leinart the following spring, then led the Cardinals to the NFC West crown and playoff victories over Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia before the narrow loss to Pittsburgh in last year's Super Bowl.
    Warner has 32,344 career passing yards in the regular season in 12 NFL seasons. His playoff statistics are even more impressive.
    He has compiled a 9-4 record, and his performance in the 51-45 overtime wild card victory over Green Bay was nearly perfect. Warner had more touchdown passes -- five - than incompletions -- four, going 29 for 33 for 379 yards in the highest-scoring game in NFL history.

He and his wife Brenda have seven children. The couple operate the First Things First Christian charitable foundation. Last year, he was named the NFL's Man of the Year for his off-the-field and onfield accomplishments.
    Warner's departure would leave Leinart the presumed replacement. The former Heisman Trophy winner has started 17 games for Arizona but only one in the last two years. He has been erratic in his few chances as Warner's backup.
    "I do realize there's a good chance that he's going to retire and my opportunity might finally come, so we'll see," Leinart said as he cleaned out his locker 10 days ago. "But I'm just going to prepare like I did this offseason, probably work even harder, and we'll see what happens."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81602aca&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Will be sorry to see him go. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I'd love for him to give it one more year. If he does retire then the nfc west division is gonna be a depressing division next year.

Cardinals to go with Leinhart now or bring someone new in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'd love for him to give it one more year. If he does retire then the nfc west division is gonna be a depressing division next year.

Not if you're a 49'ers fan.

it'll be interesting to see how Leinart does. He's inheriting a very good offense, but it'll definitely take him time to settle, if he ever does. I reckon he'll be given the season to prove himself though.

Anyway, sorry to see Kurt go. No surprises really, but he should be a slam-dunk HOFer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

if he does indeed call it a day i wish him the best

Should easily have his HOF place wrapped up either way

Sorry to see him go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just another American (Oul Stock) Hero !
    Wow, 7 kids, so he was throwing touchdowns in the bedroom aswell :p
    ........has his story the makings of a film ??? (maybe just NFL films tho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Delighted with the News! With Pete Carroll on board and two first round draft picks I cannot help but quote the brilliant Starship;
    'Nothing's gonna stop us now!'

Hope he still gets into the hall of fame, I guess......

Delighted with the News! With Pete Carroll on board and two first round draft picks I cannot help but quote the brilliant Starship;

That's the 49ers' Division now, Seahawk. Jury is still out on Carroll, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just another American (Oul Stock) Hero !
    Wow, 7 kids, so he was throwing touchdowns in the bedroom aswell :p
    ........has his story the makings of a film ??? (maybe just NFL films tho!)

Haha. Making kids doesn't require much effort; raising them does.

As far as the Cards are concerned, Leinart has had enough 'mentoring' at this stage. He should be good enough. The rest of the team is set. They have good RBs, WRs, and an OL that can keep Warner healthy. Their D works enough of the time, and they've got a decent HC. Niners might have to wait a while (or get a lot better). I think the 'Hawks are in the race for #1 overall pick in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

davyjose wrote: »
    That's the 49ers' Division now

Bit premature! Leinart could come in and do well and with Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitz and Steve Breaston to target that will always help a QB out.

But on Warner, really sad to see him go, my personal favourite QB of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Absolute hero, deserves to enjoy the retirement.
    Tristram wrote: »
    Cardinals to go with Leinhart now or bring someone new in?

I reckon they will. It's his time to shine imo.

Don't forget the niners are still around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Wouldn't be overly worried about the Niners to be honest, I think the Seahawks organisation is in a much place than them. I know we just had two crappy seasons but long term I think our future is brighter.
    I'd be more worried about a Leinart led Cards outfit than Mouthy Mike Singletary next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Tenner says he comes back :D

Leinart I feel has been given time to mature. The best thing the Cards did for Leinarts career was bench him and let him learn from a Master that is Warner. Leinart had a good game in the divisional games at the Saints when he replaced Warner. 7/10 and 61 yards wasnt bad and he showed glimpse that he can do it.

Bit premature! Leinart could come in and do well and with Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitz and Steve Breaston to target that will always help a QB out.

But on Warner, really sad to see him go, my personal favourite QB of all time.

Tbh, even if Warner was to stick around, there's a lot to get excited about in SF. They were very sharp at times this season; if they can recruit a decent QB to play with Davis and Crabtree, they'll have a very good O.
    Now, however good Leinart is, pretty much everyone here considers Warner a HOFer - do you really think Leinart can play at that level? Not a chance.

Seahawks might be on the right track (although I think carroll will find it hard), but next season is too soon for anything special I think.

Niners for the NFC West next season. There, I've said it. :D

Edit: Just had a look over SF's results this season: They lost only one divisional game this year (in Seattle), and finished within a TD AWAY to the Colts, Vikes, and Packers.

Any kind of improvement from here, and they'll be a definite Playoff contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What we've learnt about leinart is he doesn't learn, he makes same mistakes repeatedly. It's make or break this year for him. Cards priority in first round will be an lb in the expectation Dansby is gone, he's immense. I wouldn't be surprised if they took another QB in second round even though OL needs more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Id agree with the posters who say that the niners are in position to be the top team in this division next year. When you look at it they have the most positions sorted on their roster. Their defence was the top in the division last year. They have playmakers on offence in Gore and Crabtree, the O-line has been functional the last year and at QB when Alex Smith was put in for the second half of the season using more of a spread offence he looked pretty good. Thats the major positions sorted before the draft. They take a tackle and you'd have to say their set pretty well to win the division.

The Cards lose Warner, Leinart steps in and its very questionable if he can step up. His work ethic and decision making was called in question many times since being drafted. He was one of the best QBs of all time in college but now he has to step up. He'll be given the year but if he doesnt show what he can do the Cards will draft a QB next year. Its never a stable team when the pivotal position is in a state of flux.

The Seahawks have to replace so many players that they will not be a division challenger this year. They need playmakers everywhere. They need to a new QB, RB, WR and O-line help. Their defence was a shambles last year and they need to draft/aquire at linebacker and CB.

The Rams....well their the Rams! Only at RB with Steven Jackson are they truely set with a top line player as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Cards future as division champ is partially dependent on Boldin who I expect to be traded, if they can get a low first or high second then they'll still finish ahead of 49ers I think albeit they'll score less because they're going to run more next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

davyjose wrote: »
    Seahawks might be on the right track (although I think carroll will find it hard), but next season is too soon for anything special I think.
    Indeed... Carroll needs at least a year to rebuild the team.

That Niners team is on the rise. I expect they'll be challenging hard for division crown next season.

Advertisement