Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic Feeling a Bit Down

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I was diagnosed in October last year and was initially quite upbeat about the whole thing, I lost loads of weight that I had tried to loose for years, I stopped eating junk which I had also wanted to do and I started exercising regularly which I also had wanted to do for a long time. To be honest I was quite happy I got diabetes as it gave me the kick up the arse to make the changes I had wanted to make for so long.
    My problem started around christmas, I thought I would take a few days break from the exercising and relax over christmas, I still kept up a fairly healthy diet with no sweets but had a few drinks. Christmas dragged on into new year and I still had not started exercising again, the diet was still ok but not exercising made me feel guilty but I still dident do anything about it. To add to it my blood levels were always high, apart from when I was having my regular hypos. I did start to walk a bit in the evenings and kept the good diet but my readings were never stabilised in a healthy level even when I had a really good day of exercise and diet I would go to bed with a reading of 16.
    This all started to get me down, along with feeling **** because of the ups and downs of my BS levels. I lost all track of taking readings, sometimes maybe only doing it once a day, I wouldent even write the result in my book half the time, I forgot to take my tablets loads of days.
    I know it is all relative, taking the tablets, exercising, diet, keeping positive but I just cant shake the gloomy feeling I have about it all, I want to and keep hoping that tomorrow this stage will have passed and I can move on but it isint happening. I know I could have an awful lot worse condition than diabetes, it is probably one of the better conditions to have on this forum and I can understand anyone with a more serious condition than mine thinking I am just a bollox for complaining about this but this unfortunately is how I am feeling right now.
    Is this a normal enough phase to go through when newly diagnosed and hopefully it will pass or should I do something about it, or should I just shut up and get on with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 10 on the 13th of February 1985 and I still have a moapy day around then...it is normal to be a bit upset, this is something that you will have for the rest of your life and if you do not look after it the complications are not nice to say the least...I think that we all go through a phase of adjustment and sometimes it can just annoy you when it is not bechaving. For me learning about nutrition helped a lot but my bloods do drive me batty (am heavily pregnant and am watching for baby which makes me extra cautious). There is no harm speaking to someone about it. Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was diagnosed in October last year and was initially quite upbeat about the whole thing, I lost loads of weight that I had tried to loose for years, I stopped eating junk which I had also wanted to do and I started exercising regularly which I also had wanted to do for a long time. To be honest I was quite happy I got diabetes as it gave me the kick up the arse to make the changes I had wanted to make for so long.
    My problem started around christmas, I thought I would take a few days break from the exercising and relax over christmas, I still kept up a fairly healthy diet with no sweets but had a few drinks. Christmas dragged on into new year and I still had not started exercising again, the diet was still ok but not exercising made me feel guilty but I still dident do anything about it. To add to it my blood levels were always high, apart from when I was having my regular hypos. I did start to walk a bit in the evenings and kept the good diet but my readings were never stabilised in a healthy level even when I had a really good day of exercise and diet I would go to bed with a reading of 16.
    This all started to get me down, along with feeling **** because of the ups and downs of my BS levels. I lost all track of taking readings, sometimes maybe only doing it once a day, I wouldent even write the result in my book half the time, I forgot to take my tablets loads of days.
    I know it is all relative, taking the tablets, exercising, diet, keeping positive but I just cant shake the gloomy feeling I have about it all, I want to and keep hoping that tomorrow this stage will have passed and I can move on but it isint happening. I know I could have an awful lot worse condition than diabetes, it is probably one of the better conditions to have on this forum and I can understand anyone with a more serious condition than mine thinking I am just a bollox for complaining about this but this unfortunately is how I am feeling right now.
    Is this a normal enough phase to go through when newly diagnosed and hopefully it will pass or should I do something about it, or should I just shut up and get on with it?

BE. You are not a bollox. You're a normal human being with a newly diagnosed chronic condition you'll have for the rest of your life. The only way you could cope with this illness and not complain or slip is if you were in denial. I'm 15 years diabetic and I still freak out now and again. Have a look through the diabetic threads on here, everyone feels like this from time to time.

You started off great, and started to lag. It's a marathon, not a sprint :) Get back into it the way you got back out of it - one day at a time. Post here as often as you want, we're all in the trenches together.
    You're right about diabetes - it could have been worse. But then, it could have been better - right? it could have been nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

CathyMoran wrote: »
    (am heavily pregnant and am watching for baby which makes me extra cautious).

I think there are about 1000 people on boards who'll breath a sigh of relief when McC junior makes their entrance.

Ww're all so excited for you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

You are not alone. You've just realised what the "rest of your life" really means and how long that actually is. The best & well behaved diabetics have crap days, weeks & months. Keep fighting it!

Here are some suggestions for you if you feel up to it and remember that we are here too.
    -Find a real live person who has diabetes like you - believe me there are loads around.
    -Do something you enjoy and makes you feel good (i.e. book a holiday, go out with mates, etc)
    -Keep trying
    -Keep trying and
    -Keep trying (it will get better).

Advertisement