Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Change

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

It's January of 5th year, and I just moved from Accounting to Geography.

Originally I thought Accounting would be a good idea for points because there is very little theory compared to other subjects, and I got an A in Junior Cert Business so I figured it would be handy enough. Of course I have since learned that Accounting is really hard and takes up a lot of time, also I am not very fast at it which is a huge disadvantage.
    Geography on the other hand seems really easy so far, everyone in the class loves it and we have a great teacher. I really should have started it in September.
    I am really happy with this change except of course that I have to catch up with the work already covered so far. All those hours of accounting seem like such a waste!

So has anyone else change subjects late, i.e. after Halloween of 5th year? Did you regret it or are you glad you did it? How did you find catching up with the class on your own? Or are you facing the Leaving Cert now and wish that you had changed when you had the chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I wouldn't worry too much about struggling to catch up, if I'm right in guessing your class has covered physical geography? You should know most of that from junior cert, there's obviously a bit more detail at L.C. but none of it's complicated and you should be able to catch up on your own no bother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Geography can be learned yourself (I know it's a massive course, but it's not like accounting where you won't understand it unless taught). You've only missed a few weeks - you should catch up easy.

I agree, Accounting is very time-consuming. I do both Accounting and Geography, but luckily I enjoy accounting so the workload isn't too bad.

My advice would be to do a few extra questions in Geography (from the exam papers, if you don't have them yet go to www.examinations.ie) on the topics you missed, and hand them up to your teacher and ask him/her to correct them and tell you what you would have gotten for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

KateC92 wrote: »
    So has anyone else change subjects late, i.e. after Halloween of 5th year? Did you regret it or are you glad you did it? How did you find catching up with the class on your own? Or are you facing the Leaving Cert now and wish that you had changed when you had the chance?

I took up some at the start of 6th and didnt regret it!
    You'll be grand!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

KateC92 wrote: »
    Or are you facing the Leaving Cert now and wish that you had changed when you had the chance?

I'm only in fifth year but I'm desperately regretting picking Geog over History. Just trying to get on with it but the teaching standard is so low I'm finding it extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I never understand people picking up subjects SO late but hey, if you can do it then great.
    Good luck.

Edit: Oh wait, 5th year, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Yeah, changed from Physics to Home Economics in Feb of 5th year and never looked back! Home Ec was my original choice but it clashed and I had to drop it. Then I decided to study another subject on my own and change from that to homec. Caught up and bypassed the class, did 4/5 assignments in the few months plus a handy bit of theory. Gotten all A's and don't regret it at all.

Advertisement