Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guided Off-Piste - Söll, Austria

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping somone out there who's been off piste in Soll can point me in the right direction. I've been looking online for ages now and have not come up with a thing.

We are flying on the 20th Feb, and I was hoping to book a guided off-piste session for me and my brother in advance of getting there. It seems its very limited, probably due to its snowfall levels but I'm hoping someone with experience can help me out. Anywhere in the Ski Welt would work as I believe its easy enough to move around the area.

Or even outside the Ski Welt if its not too far away or hard to get to would work too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Try this lot.. heard theyre good. Giving them my business this year!
    http://blacksheepski.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

We are flying on the 20th Feb

Wahey, we're flying to Soll on that date aswell. 20 odd of us. Getting nearer now!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Did an advanced lesson with blacksheepski and explained I wanted to do a powder session .They brought me to a savage spot over near the igloos and another on the way to westendorf,the conditions were great bu thats becasue we had a large dump the day before.The instructors will know exactly where to take you,that is if theres been good snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Wahey, we're flying to Soll on that date aswell. 20 odd of us. Getting nearer now!

I'm going on Feb 20th too. Just 4 of us though! Place will be full of Irish (not that it wouldn't be anyways!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Try this lot.. heard theyre good. Giving them my business this year!
    http://blacksheepski.co.uk/

I dropped these guys a mail, as they dont specify off-piste for boarding on the site, haven't heard back yet. I'm definitely going for the Technical Board Clinic on the thursday though...Thanks again for the link, have been looking for ages!

Counting down the days! I'm over in oaklawn west myself, are you getting a minibus to the airport? ;) I'm on the 17:25 flight out.
    bovril wrote: »
    I'm going on Feb 20th too. Just 4 of us though! Place will be full of Irish (not that it wouldn't be anyways!)

We should all meet up some day and get some kind of race going (boarding, skiing or drinking, doesn't really matter).

We should all meet up some day and get some kind of race going (boarding, skiing or drinking, doesn't really matter).

We're pretty much beginners. I went skiing for the first time last year to Soll. A drinking race would be good alright in the Salvenstadl around jager time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

I'm hoping somone out there who's been off piste in Soll can point me in the right direction.

Anywhere in the Ski Welt would work as I believe its easy enough to move around the area.

Or even outside the Ski Welt if its not too far away or hard to get to would work too.

i'm afraid if it's challenging off-piste you're looking for then the ski welt is
    generally a "no go"

there's a bit off the black 45 (45E?) (to the left of run) ,,,,then
    another one nice run through the trees off the 45 to the right
    it brings you to an old "T-bar" lift at least when i was there another bit towards Hopfgarten

i recommend you go to the "Salvenstadl" pub after skiing (as you walk from home run towards soll center you'll see a pub on the corner you can't / won't miss it:D:D) ask a few of the instructors there (clive) if you can contact him will tell you about the spots and most likely will be able to set you up with a guide, but be warned these areas are limited & get tracked out very very quickly.

honestly, the ski welt is most suited for beginners / high mileage cruising intermediates, and it's a great party place and great for a holiday
    but for the challenging off piste you might be better considering St. Anton
    or even skiing across to Kitzbuhel (1 hour ski - no problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Mmmm_Lemony Dont think you could have picked a worse place to think about doing off Piste!

Not a whole lot around the area and would talk to the locals and see what they reccomend

I'd agree with what the lads said about asking the locals. Our ski instructor in Soll last year was from one of the nearby villages and he used to ditch us at lunch and go skiing off piste with some of his mates (other instructors). We never thought to ask him as were having enough touble ON piste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

De_man wrote: »
    i'm afraid if it's challenging off-piste you're looking for then the ski welt is
    generally a "no go"
    Fattes wrote: »
    Mmmm_Lemony Dont think you could have picked a worse place to think about doing off Piste!

Not a whole lot around the area and would talk to the locals and see what they reccomend

I picked Soll as my plan originally wasnt to find a place with great off piste, but somewhere with plenty of interconnecting piste and a few parks here and there.

This will be the first year for my brother on a board and only my second, so we won't be jumping out of choppers just yet. But as I'd tried a bit 'off' last year while in Slovakia, I said I would see if I could do the same this year to show my brother what it was like, as it was a completely different but absolutely amazing experience.

I think it will be St. Anton next year though as every search while looking for something in Soll threw up the name. Either of you two have any recommendation for a good resort for off-piste next season in europe, (or maybe the end of this season if I can convince 'yer wan') something with a decent park too maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Mmmm_Lemony: There is off piste in Soll just not loads or varied amounts.

Mayrhofen and the zillertal have great off piste if you know where to go check out this months Fall Line Mag for a low down

Chatel in France and the Porte Du Soleil is a great place

THen you have the big 3 Verbier, Chamonix and the Alberg (St Anton, Lech Zurs)

Amazing Terrain and epic lines but all get tracked out quickly

In Switzerland you have Zermatt and Andermatt aswell.

Enjoy Soll

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Fattes wrote: »
    THen you have the big 3 Verbier, Chamonix and the Alberg (St Anton, Lech Zurs)

Enjoy Soll

For me hands down it has to be Chamonix!!!! can't get enough of the place:D
    with a trip to Courmayeur aswell

Chamonixs main drawback is the area is so fragmented, & no effort is made to link the mountains e.g. whistler - blackcomb have made the effort to install the "peak to peak" gondola....ski buses are available in chamonix
    but they get so packed & this is a major drawback!!:(

we normally hire a car (with roof box) in Geneva and drive up (1.1/4) or you
    can get a service pickup from www.a-t-s.net an excellent company!!! they do a shared minibus service and then use public transport upon arrival.

Would love a trip back to soll (whiskey muller etc) :D:D:D:D:D

what a place:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

bovril wrote: »

20th of Feb for me too! 12 of us going! :D

Advertisement