Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Enjoying College

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi i'm in my second course now and I just dont enjoy college at all. I dread going in every day and cant wait to be finished. The stuff on the course isn't bad but Im starting to think that college isnt for me. Has anyone thoght the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Do you mean that you changed courses when you got into college?, if so I understand where you are coming from. I went into college looking forward to doing the course I really wanted to study after the LC. However within a few weeks I came to realise I didn't like it, but thought it was just me being irrational. However it came halloween and realised I didn't like my course at all, bare the language subjects I was doing. I was fretting that I'd have to drop out and do f*** all for the year, but luckily I managed to get in contact with people and decided to change my course to just languages. Now I couldn't be happier.

However I still really haven't settled in yet, but I'm planning this term to get involved in some societies that I joined today. Maybe that's something you should think about exploring, if you feel you're not enjoying college. I can definitely say going from an intimate secondary school setting to a huge university is tough, and I'm still getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Would it be more the social aspect that you don't like?
    Do you have any real close friends there?
    Getting involved in a society could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

from what I have heard trinity is not as good as UCD in term of college life etc its in a bad location and is very rush rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Hi! I too am having some doubts about college. However you seem not to mind your course, whereas that's the biggie for me.

The dreading bit I feel sometimes when I'm starting to study or listening to a lecture and I start to panic in my head. I sometimes feel it too when I'm walking around and it's like oh no, on my own again.
    djcervi wrote: »

However I still really haven't settled in yet, but I'm planning this term to get involved in some societies that I joined today. Maybe that's something you should think about exploring, if you feel you're not enjoying college. I can definitely say going from an intimate secondary school setting to a huge university is tough, and I'm still getting used to it.

Yeah this is true. From a small school to big college is hard. Really hard and to be honest I wouldn't say I've fully settled in yet either. And also I meant to go to that society thing today but forgot. Damn!

I really don't have any advice from myself as I am kind of in the same boat but from what others have said speak to the welfare officer or your tutor. I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not much better out there than college tbh, spent a year on the dole, no jobs going and trust me, you don't want to spend any length of time on the dole.
    You just gotta make the most of it. Or do what I do, keep aloof from it all and surround yourself with what you like in your free time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Maybe you should drink more?
    Worked for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

baden wrote: »
    Hi i'm in my second course now and I just dont enjoy college at all. I dread going in every day and cant wait to be finished. The stuff on the course isn't bad but Im starting to think that college isnt for me. Has anyone thoght the same?

Well you may take some solace in the knowledge that working is fairly different from college. So if you persevere (cos you like the content of the course) and get a qualification and start working you might cheer up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I feel the exact same thing! It's not that I think I'm not inteligent enough or that I'm in the wrong course but I think I suddenly realised one day that college isn't for me. I'm not really sure waht I could advise you to do but I'm sticking with it. Like you I'm on my second course and, no matter how many times they say it wouldn't, I know it would kill my parents if I didn't get a degree. I know I can do it but I don't really enjoy it. College just isn't for me. If someone offered me a job tomorrow I would take it but it isn't going to happen so I'm just going to sit out this whole college thing and see what i can make of it. I now know It may not be MY dream but it is still a fantstic experience that many people would die for and I feel I should take advantage of it since I've been given it.

That's just my 2 cents really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aamurray

From my experience in college - mind you it was a long time ago - I eventually realised that the course you take is only a small part of the whole (four year if applicable) experience. The subjects and pedagogic process is geared to helping you to broaden your mind and develop analytical, written and conversational skills that you have only begun to understand while studying for the LC. You are give the freedom in college to expand areas of knowledge only tapped into in secondary school and, while the whole process may seem strange and distant - it is designed to assist you to become more of an individual and less of a "three-piece-assembly" worker in a factory.

The fact that you have doubts about your course and your "enjoyment/participation" in it is part of the proof that you have already started on the road to expanding your mind. BTW and FYI - EVERYONE questions their choices.

College may not provide you with satisfactory answers but it is not designed to do so - it will help you make decisions long after you have graduated .

"The purpose of primary education is the development of your weak characteristics; the purpose of university education, the development of your strong." ~Nevin Fenneman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I think the OP should consider talking to his/her tutor, from personal experience it'll do no harm.

• Advertisement

You chose to go to trinity, what'd you expect? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

this bloke wrote: »
    Maybe you should drink more?
    Worked for me..

alcoholic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Same as ya man, I hated college and this is my second time to start in one (postgrad). Firstly, it's 100% natural to question why you're doing something, and anyone who says that they never had doubts is a fecking liar. Up until recently I felt like **** most of the time, the material wasn't too bad on the course, I just felt like crap. However, there is a lot to be said about getting in with a few friends and going out. Without a doubt this has worked extremely well. College is what you make of it, I would strongly advise that you join a society or two, a nice small one that you'll get to know people (Joly, DU Geog etc...), you've gotten this far and that's a lot further than some people! To quote Richard Feynman;
    "Don't worry about anything... Go out and have a good time.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Definitely go to your tutor. He/She will put some perspective on your situation and if needs be point you in the right direction of what you should do next. You're not the 1st or the last person who will feel like this. The worst thing you can do bottle it up and drop out/come out with a degree that doesn't reflect what you're capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

alcoholic.jpg

Well Santa does have 364 days off, what do you expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

baden wrote: »

Very very odd, try getting a girlfriend - it keeps your mind off things.

Advertisement