Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jump Start with Air Compressor from aldi

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

how long would this run a 12v beacon for in a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's pretty good, anyone loan me some cash? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's pretty good, anyone loan me some cash? :o
    serious you reckon its OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

iamskippy wrote: »
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11756.htm
    3 year warranty. Is it worth buying

My mother has one - not bad, but also not for fully exhausted batteries.

It has a 17.5 Ah rating, so to put it in perspective, most car batteries will be 60 to 80 Ah, therefore it will start a car with a mostly, but not fully flat battery.

This model does not have an On/Off switch for the jump starting capability - i.e. the leads are always live, so you have to take care not to short them out.

The other features are fine, but be aware that pumping a flat tyre with the weight of the car on it would take 10 to 20 mins (a lot quicker if you jack it up first).

With all of these jumpstarters, the key is to FULLY charge them first, and FULLY charge them after every use or every 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I got one last year and its good for the money. The cables are to short though could have made them 50cm longer and although I have started petrol cars with it no problem it would'nt start my brothers 1.9 diesel van or my own 2.5 diesel landrover.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

usb connection?? for what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

the USB connection is to charge things such as mobile phone ,digital camera ,etc....really just a gimmick to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

I have this aswell. It's gotten me out of bother a few times, so well worth keeing one in your boot. As others have said, it will not do the job of a battery, and won't work with a completely flat battery.

Also, works better on petrols. Comes in handy for push starting diesels as you can power the preheat with it and pushstart easily.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

fryup wrote: »
    usb connection?? for what??

To jump-start a laptop of course:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    To jump-start a laptop of course:rolleyes:
    very good:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Not bad for the money, think their also doing boxes of
    car fuses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

how long would this run a 12v beacon for in a tractor

Depends on how many watts the beacon is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Aldi had these last year also. I bought one and there are now several bits broken...

- orange lens things fall off at the drop of a hat
    - internal battery is not really up to inflating a wheel even on full charge
    - black toggle buttons dont like moist air (at all)
    - airhose connector fell off...

It wont charge properly anymore ....

IMHO, stay away....

kyote00 wrote: »
    last year also. I bought one and there are now several bits broken...
    did it have a 3 year warranty? If so bring it back

Muckie wrote: »
    Not bad for the money, think their also doing boxes of
    car fuses too.
    and a battery tester http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11827.htm
    Would that check the state of a battery that is not in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

and a battery tester http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11827.htm
    Would that check the state of a battery that is not in a car?

I'd save the €4.99 and buy one of their German Pils 6-packs.

That tester will just measure the voltage across the terminals. A severely discharged battery can still dispay 12-13 volts, but be completely unable to start a car. One would need a load tester for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

i bought the exact same bit of kit from Aldi about a year ago, and it has been a life send. Its also great that you can run any 12V item off it.

Lauder wrote: »
    i bought the exact same bit of kit from Aldi about a year ago, and it has been a life send. Its also great that you can run any 12V item off it.
    Does it have the function where you can plug it in to the cig lighter and give a charge to car battery from inside car?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Yes it has that feature to recharge it in the car.
    The compressor is fairly good too, if your not in a hurry. Better than the "Draper" one I had been using.

I suppose I didn't really expect to start my wifes 2.4 diesel or my 3.5 petrol from flat and indeed it didn't seem to be making any difference at all in either case. Still handy thing to have around the garage though.

Nothing has broken on mine in the last year....yet!

• Advertisement

Hifive wrote: »
    Yes it has that feature to recharge it in the car.
    The compressor is fairly good too, if your not in a hurry. Better than the "Draper" one I had been using.

I suppose I didn't really expect to start my wifes 2.4 diesel or my 3.5 petrol from flat and indeed it didn't seem to be making any difference at all in either case. Still handy thing to have around the garage though.

Nothing has broken on mine in the last year....yet!
    Thanks for that. ;)Think i will get one. As for things breaking well it has a 3 year warranty........

Who got one? I did anyway. It says charge for 48 - 72 hours first time. Is it safe to leave on charge when out or overnight?

As the clamps are always live would touching one cause shock or would you have to touch two at same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I went to aldi this morning and people were litterly climbing over each other to get those jump packs and the car seat covers.
    I went to get the battery meter thingy but they had none left:mad:. Looks like Il be in the motor factors tomorrow buying a voltage meter, left the one I had in a car I sold, had it for years, hate losing tools ive had so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zulu1000

To whom it may concern,
    I purchased a battery jump start & compressor unit from an Aldi store in Melbourne, Australia in 2010, I charged internal 12 volt battery recently (2014) until battery was fully charged. I used this unit to jump start my car battery & used compressor to pump up all tyres on my car, when I finished, I attempted to recharge jump start internal battery using 230 volt/15volt power pack included, however, Red charge LED did not light up. I checked power pack with a Fluke multimeter & found input to primary of transformer is open circuit as is secondary side. I'm aware that warranty has expired, but I would point out that this power pack failed on second use to recharge jump start unit & I'm a qualified Electronic Technician working on Mainframes & Mini Computer systems for thirty (30) years & High Voltage Protection & Control Systems for Sixteen (16) years, so as you can see my experience is significant in the Electronics field. I'm requesting a replacement power pack unit, thank you, enjoy the remainder of the week.
    Sincerely,
    Peter Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Zulu1000 wrote: »
    To whom it may concern,
    I purchased a battery jump start & compressor unit from an Aldi store in Melbourne, Australia in 2010, I charged internal 12 volt battery recently (2014) until battery was fully charged. I used this unit to jump start my car battery & used compressor to pump up all tyres on my car, when I finished, I attempted to recharge jump start internal battery using 230 volt/15volt power pack included, however, Red charge LED did not light up. I checked power pack with a Fluke multimeter & found input to primary of transformer is open circuit as is secondary side. I'm aware that warranty has expired, but I would point out that this power pack failed on second use to recharge jump start unit & I'm a qualified Electronic Technician working on Mainframes & Mini Computer systems for thirty (30) years & High Voltage Protection & Control Systems for Sixteen (16) years, so as you can see my experience is significant in the Electronics field. I'm requesting a replacement power pack unit, thank you, enjoy the remainder of the week.
    Sincerely,
    Peter Grant

Peter.

We are currently processing you request and will reply in 2019.

Best regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

To whom it may concern,
    Sincerely,
    Peter Grant

Peter,
    You need to charge them everynow and again, or better still use it and recharge it from time to time, reminds me, I need to charge mine.
    Charging every now and again keeps the battery in good condition,
    I hope it isnt as it sounds, that you charged it in 2010 and now are suprised it isnt working having never charged it, or is this a wind up and Ive been had? :rolleyes:

Have you considered opening it up as the warranty is expired, maybe have a look at the connections? maybe it took a knock, people have said bits and pieces come off.
    The image is no longer available, is this the yellow box? I got one of those, Aldi also had a blue job aswell and I think Lidl had a similar yellow boxy shaped job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

To whom it may concern,
    Sincerely,
    Peter Grant

Peter

That's unusual. This is the first complaint we have received here at boards Aldi Australia Customer Service regarding this unit. It must have been a one off. We will do our best to get a replacement to you as soon as possible. In the mean time, try not to break down or maybe just park on a hill.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pkiernan wrote: »
    but be aware that pumping a flat tyre with the weight of the car on it would take 10 to 20 mins (a lot quicker if you jack it up first).

Interesting, although not really true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

To whom it may concern,
    Sincerely,
    Peter Grant

2010!
    Must be a dodgy Flux Capacitor then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that's a bit of a letdown...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement