Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting the best fuel economy from an automatic

Options
  • 28-01-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

This might seem like a stupid question, I hope not.

I've been driving for a few months and will be taking my first trip outside Dublin at the weekend, up to Louth.

It got me wondering how I can get the best fuel economy from my car, which is an automatic.

As far as I was aware, higher gears give better MPG, but in an automatic, that means putting the boot down. My father advised me just to cruise at around 50mph, but I think he might be biased towards my personal safety.
    If the motorway isn't too busy, would I not be best to cruise at say 80mph?

Thanks.

Comments

Accelerate slowly and gently, putting the boot down is to avoided, don't use the accelerator like an on/off switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I find the optimum for my car (a 2.5 auto) tends to be around 110-120 km/h, but it depends on the car. What type of car do you have? Personally I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not risk picking up (more) penalty points for the sake of saving a couple of quid on fuel and a few minutes journey time. I also find that cruise control is good as well, as it's easy to let the speed pick up a little when driving without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Most autos will be in top gear already when cruising at 40mph. Anything under 70mph on a motorway without good reason is just causing congestion for the sake of it, IMO at least. I take it you have a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

condra wrote: »
    My father advised me just to cruise at around 50mph, but I think he might be biased towards my personal safety.
    If the motorway isn't too busy, would I not be best to cruise at say 80mph?

You'd be safer driving at 120km/h rather than 80km/h on the motorway anyway.

As for getting the best economy, just don't put the boot down and gradually reach your cruising speed, then maintain it. The optimal speed for economy depends on the car, maybe the time you save is more valuable than the pennies saved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Forget 80mph. Cars are designed for maximum fuel efficiency at 56mph - this is because of the way the EU do the tests.

'Putting the boot' down does not get you into top gear in an automatic, quicker - actually, the opposite. The more gentle you drive, the quicker it changes gear, getting you into top gear quicker, which is efficient. 'Booting it' makes it hang on to lower gears longer, and uses much more juice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OP says 80mph. Or did you mean 80kph ?

100kph is a good figure for economy if we're talking kph.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Putting the boot down will do exactly the opposite of what you want. Just take it easy and accelerate smoothly. I wouldn't say only cruise at 50mph, cruise at whatever speed is applicable to the road/situation.
    It depends on the type of auto it is too, an old 4 speed auto will drink fuel if driven hard, and it's hard to control the gear changes, but once you're up to speed i can see no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just go easy on the gas, it'll get into top gear very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Eoin, Alan, - The car is a 1.3 ltr 4 speed Toyota Cynos (/Paseo)
    OP says 80mph. Or did you mean 80kph ?
    I presumed people were still talking in miles but I'll be sure to talk in metric in future! :)
    I was thinking around 80mph, which turns out to be 128kph, but I thought it was a bit less. I don't usually like driving faster than about 110kph.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice. I'll keep it in mind and use gentle acceleration for the trip, and in future.

Advertisement