Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student but second degree any one any info

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am applying to do nursing as a mature student but i already have a degree in ag Science but its not been much use to me in terms of getting a job :(
    So i thought a new degree would be the way to go :rolleyes: i always wanted to do nursing just never had the points

i know i have to pay the fee's if i go ahead and do it. Does any one know if there is any financial assistance for people who have to pay fee's like a loan company or is it just a case of going to the bank and hoping for the best?

Also i never recieved a maintenance grant the first time round does anyone know would i be able to get it this time or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

hi, as far as I know as a mature student you can apply for the grant and once your below the means limit you should get it, with college fees covered aswell as a maintenance grant. I think you should be ok as you never had a grant before and the criteria is more flexible for mature students, regardless of any qualifications you have from when you were under 23. hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

This is taken from www.studentfinance.ie

"I am Over 23 Years of Age on 01 January 2009
    You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:
    • I am enterinnag an approved Honours Degree course* for the first time

OR
    • I am entering an approved Honours Degree course* to complete it (for the first time) after a break of one year or more having previously entered an approved course"
    I think because you completed a degree under free fees in the last few years you will not be eligible for a new 'free' degree. See the above website for more details

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Yep - unfortunately once you have completed a degree you are not entitled to 'free fees' nor a grant....
    I don't think the student welfare fund applies either....
    However you can claim some tax relief back on the fees you pay. Currently20% up to a limit of 5k in fees (per year).
    So think long and hard.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

hey, u won't be entitled to the free fees, as you completed a course before,but as far as i knew the maintenance grant is a seperate thing, an they base it on a few different things, like what qualification you have, how long since you did it, if the course u want to do leads to a higher qualification than the previous one and if ur over 23 or not.
    I started one course and completed the first year then started another course from first year and i got d grant, they covered college fees all d way through including 1st year even though I had already completed one year of another course.
    id check it out and explain ur situation just to see, maybe you could be lucky - I no of circumstances where they have paid fees only as the person had previous qualifications. they didnt get any financial help, but at least didn't have to pay fees. the only thing is it might have somethin 2 do with whether you actually completed your previous course or not. but you never received it before so its at least worth a shot, the worst they can say is no.
    also, if no other funding is available, you could apply for the student assistant fund in your college when you start. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

The fact you have completed a degree already (here or abroad!)means you WILL definitely have to pay full fees (i am in same boat and I do) and when i called the council, I was not eligible for a grant because i had a degree...there was no debate on that either! Also your first degree (Ag science) is unrelated to the Nursing one you want to do so they don't see it as a 'progression'...

• Advertisement
Advertisement