Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whoops!

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe there's no safety feature to stop this kinda thing happening!:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lucky there was no one on that part of the bridge and that there wasn't a car directly behind.

Crazy stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Paulw wrote: »
    Lucky there was no one on that part of the bridge and that there wasn't a car directly behind.

Crazy stuff though.

Are you serious? You can see a guy on the left of the bridge crushed flat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

2 people I reckon died.. if not seriously injured. Thats just crazy to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    2 people I reckon died.. if not seriously injured. Thats just crazy to watch
    I count 3.. 1 on left, 2 on right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Thats such a sad accident.I reckon 3 were crushed from seeing that.Who was radomly filming this?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did nobody listen to the Audio.

1 injured and the other two escaped out of the way.

On there being a safety device to stop this. In this country its called a driving license with specific tests for specific vehicles.

There is a driving test for cars but nothing to stop people driving along with their scarf or seatbelt out the window. A woman in the UK had her right arm ripped off because her seatbelt, through the door, caught on a railing and whoosh................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Berty wrote: »
    Did nobody listen to the Audio.

1 injured and the other two escaped out of the way.

what you mean people should look and listen to videos before posting comment on them.... interesting idea :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Who was radomly filming this?:confused:

CCTV... time and date stamp on top left :rolleyes:

I whitnessed a similar thing in the states. We were driving behind (but in a different lane) an old dumper truck who didn't pay any attention to the warning signs of low bridge ahead, when he hit it at about 45-50mph. The Bridge was an old solid rock bridge and won that battle... the front part of the truck was thrown in the air, lost the dumper part and the remainder of the truck by pure chance drove off into the side embankement. We managed to squeeze past as it was still happening... quite scary and a hell of a noise :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

The guy on the bridge is lucky to be alive.
    A pto has to be engaged to operate the tipping bed on the truck,this is done by engaging the clutch and moving a lever in the cab. Many trucks have a safety alarm which sounds in the cab while the pto is engaged, so the driver will not forget its on (unless his deaf)
    Also its hard to select gears with the pto on so this guy is a nob and a serious danger to others on or near the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

there was an incident in the UK not to long ago where a raised tipper hit a foot bridge over a rail line, which then collapsed and was hit by a train. link
    One moment of carelessness / stupidity is all it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Can't believe there's no safety feature to stop this kinda thing happening!:eek:

To be honest if someone driving the truck doesn't realise that it's up they shouldn't be driving anything. If your in a car with a roof rack you notice the wind resistance, driving with a 4 or 5 ton tipper open on the back should be a tad noticeable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

To be honest if someone driving the truck doesn't realise that it's up they shouldn't be driving anything. If your in a car with a roof rack you notice the wind resistance, driving with a 4 or 5 ton tipper open on the back should be a tad noticeable :D

+1 makes me wonder does he ever look in his mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regardless of striking the bridge, the stability of the rig would be non-existant as the the centre of gravity would be so high! :eek:

Reminds me of a 'know it all' new lad in Dublin port a few years ago. He was tipping a flour-like substance which was slightly damp because he hadn't covered the load properly. He had the trailer at full tilt and much of the stuff was still sticking. He thought it would be a good idea to abruptly drive forward and then brake sharply a few times. The result was a bent ram and the body couldn't be lowered.

Advertisement