Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving holiday

Options
  • 28-01-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

99% of my driving is a 10 mile each way drive into work, so getting a 1.4 Skoda Octavia seemed like a sensible enough thing at the time of buying. However, me and the missus are now considering a driving holiday in Scotland in the summer, during which time there will be a fair amount of motorway driving, and overall probably a significant amount of mileage. My only concern is how much strain it will put on the car, considering the size of the engine.

Anyone any advice on this?

Comments

My only concern is how much strain it will put on the car, considering the size of the engine.

None really :) Once the gearbox is used appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

RoverJames wrote: »
    None really :) Once the gearbox is used appropriately.

Thanks. Me and my gearbox have a very appropriate relationship:D

I would have the car serviced about a month before setting off, mention to the garage you intend doing a fair few miles over the next couple of months. The few weeks before setting off are handy to have in case they overlook something or make a boo boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The max motorway speed is 120 km/h or 70 mph respectively. Even your 1.4 should do this all day long without breaking a sweat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

My mates family drove all the way to the south of France in a 98 1.0 SEAT Ibiza a few years back, and the car did it no problem.

Once you take it easy, and know the limits of the car and don't push it, you should be fine.

I do agree with getting it serviced before you go, and if you do a fair amount of mileage, get it looked at again when you get back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just to be sure, check oil/coolant/etc levels before leaving and fairly regularly during the trip. Also check and monitor tyre pressure and condition.

Advertisement