Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear parking censors. Factory V dealer fitted

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Want to get rear parking sensors on a Superb i'm thinking of buying. The factory ones come wired to the speakers and have a display and cost around €450 but there is a long wait time for custom Superbs, nearly 3 months...
    1 dealer said they can retro fit them for less and they will be routed through the car speakers. Another said that they cant do that and only have their own small speaker on the back window, which sound crap.
    Is retrofitting them any good then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If I were in your shoes I would ask to see an example of the dealer fitted sensors. Sometime retro fit stuff can look lousy, especially on a new car. If you can't see an example of the installed sensors I would wait for the manufacturer installed ones.
    censor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Usually I'd go for professionally retro fitted rear sensors. Any I've had done have been very, very neat and rear's work very well (front, not so great).

But if you are going for the Superb in Ambition or Elegance you'll have a proximity display on the radio from the factory option, which is much handier than just the beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Going for the Greenline but they have the a display when factory fitted too.
    How much for the professionally fitted ones you use (rear)? Do they have their own beepers or use the car speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I would wait for the factory fitted option. There are more discreet and the fact they come with a screen/wired through speakers make it worth the effort.

I decided against ordered factory fitted ones for my passat (due to the wait) and ended getting retro fitted ones (the best i could find), but I regret not getting the proper ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was in the same situation as you (not Octavia), and decided on the factory fitted. The dealer said that it would be the better choice in the long run (supplier warranty vs dealer warranty). Never mind the fact that the dealer fitted ones were much better integrated in to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Scruff wrote: »
    Going for the Greenline but they have the a display when factory fitted too.
    How much for the professionally fitted ones you use (rear)? Do they have their own beepers or use the car speakers?

Think the last ones were about €350. Had to get the paint code for the car so they could spray them up before fitting.

They were beeping out of somewhere - not sure if it was the speakers or whether they put another speaker in, but they worked well.

From looking at them, you wouldn't be able to tell they weren't factory fitted. There is an option to have a display that goes from Green to Red depending how close you are to the obstacle, but it's a bit tacky and the beep is enough.

Had them fitted on a Mondeo last. Previously had them put on to an New A4. Probably some others, but that's what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Wait and get factory, also the Superb is a new medel so the longer you wait, the more chance of launch bugs being ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Here another type of parking sensor, commonly in use in Ireland....

f0zynq.gif

Same operation as the electronic version, just drive until you hear the crunch....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bear in mind the warranty on the factory sensors will be for the manufacturers period. aftermarket is usually 12 months.

Advertisement