Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Rotunda hospital

Options
  • 28-01-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,I am going to attend Rotunda hospital to have my baby and I am just looking for some opinions on the place.How are the staff?Is it clean (some hospitals are manky) Just general opinions please if you have any????Would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Rotunda one of the cleanest around. Staff okay. Wouldn't want to hang around for longer than necessary :)

If you check http://www.hiqa.ie/ There are reports on hygiene in the maternity hospitals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Had my baby in the Rotunda and I have to say the that the staff were great and the hospital was lovely and clean. They dont just throw you out the door either like other places I've heard about. The nurses are very helpful with feeding and all the other new things you encounter as a first time mother I couldnt recommend them enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was supposed to reply to this thread agggeees ago... forgetful me!

Rotunda hospital is fantastic. I had my first daughter there a year ago and am so upset that I couldn't get an appointment there this time.

The staff are fantastic, the midwife at my antenatal appointments always had a lot of time to answer questions. The sonographer could have been a bit nicer, but we all have our bad days! The staff in the labour ward are also fantastic, they just kind of observed me. Not that I could do much anyway as I was under constant observation as I was hooked up to a syntocin drop (I was induced). The anesthesist did his best to put my mind at ease while he was trying to get the epidural to work before my c section and was very good when I got upset when they told me they would have to put me under general anesthetic.

The ward I was on was full for the first two nights, I think there was 12/14 beds (I rarely wandered past my bed so didn't count!), but there was loads of space between beds also. It emptied on the Sunday night and there was only me and three other girls until the Monday evening. Very clean wards, always going around tidying up. The midwive's on the ward are fantastic for helping with feeding and even took my daughter for the night to let me get some sleep the third night I was in there and the baby blues set in.

I have to say, the food was great too haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Nice one,cheers for the replies!I have an appointment but I am still not sure if they will definitely 'take me on',not really sure how it works but fingers crossed!!:D

If you have an appointment you're good to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

emsy g wrote: »
    Hey,I am going to attend Rotunda hospital to have my baby and I am just looking for some opinions on the place.How are the staff?Is it clean (some hospitals are manky) Just general opinions please if you have any????Would really appreciate it!

Ok I am very late answering this thread, but what the hey! I had my son at the Rotunda, thet were absolutely lovely there.

I had the midwives clinic and it was the same 2 midwives the whole time so you feel like you get to know them very well and they listen to any and all problems/questions and ramblings you have.

The sonographer I had was lovely and included my OH in the whole procedure.

I was an induced labour, the day nurses were absolutely lovely and constantly keep an eye on you. Anytime I was not hooked up onto the monitoring machine I was encouraged to wander around the hospital to ease the labour pains. Also when they thought my son wasnt going to deliver that night they sent my OH home for some sleep, but as soon as baby started making for the exit hatch they rang him immediately again to come back in.

It was 2am when I was getting my epidural, and the anaesthetist was about to explain everything to me and make me fill out the forms, there was an emergency caesarian occuring in theatre so he dashed off. Because I was exhausted and in a lot of pain, they called another anaesthetist out of his bed at 2.30 in the morning to get me my epidural!!!! The man is my hero! He was lovely. He saw me and saw I was in bits and talked me through the procedure as he did it! Absolutely a credit to the medical profession.

Since I had to go for an emergency c-section myself, they were swift in seeing my son was in distress and were immediately prepping me for theatre. When I came around from the anaestetic I had a lovely midwife who explained everything to me and when I asked what gender my baby was she immediately rang the neo-natal unit to find out.

As for the post natal ward those women were some of the nicest human beings you could ever meet. There was no such thing as a stupid question and they spent hours trying to help me to learn to feed! They helped any mother who needed it and they tried to help us through the hormone slump in any way they could!

The Rotunda is spotlessly clean and it has won awards for its food (true). They felt I may have been allowed home on the Friday, but then felt I was not ready, so they left me home on the Saturday, they are honest and genuinely do not just want to toss you out the door!

The only downside to my whole time there was the night midwife in the labour ward. She was more concerned in gossiping with her friend than checking in on me! But one bad few hours in the months I was there would not put me off it! If I was pregnant again I would be back like a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

well i'm gonna be the bad guy here! :o but im assuming you want honest answers and i genuinely just wanna give you the other side of the coin so you dont expect everything to go perfect, because tbh nowhere will be perfect all the time and its luck of the draw really. i just caught them on a busy/bad day and in the grand scheme of things the staff did their job and my baby was delivered safely so i cant complain.. too much! :D

i went semi- private and all went well with scans etc., the labour itself was fine (as good as labour can be!),but afterwards i was told they needed the delivery suite for the next woman so i had to leave it, which obviously needs must, but i was left in the hallway for about an hour and a half with my baby beside me in the cot and not able to tend to her as i'd had the epidural, which wasn't the most comfortable start to motherhood.

i was then brought to a public ward instead of semi-private. when dinner time came round i was asked what i wanted and then not given anything(hadn't eaten for 30 hours at that stage!) then tea time, i was given the option of two meals, i asked for one but got the other option! not entirely a horrible trauma or anything but after 30 hours of labour and no food the smallest thing does seem like a big deal!

then the day after the delivery i was still on the public ward and the nurse asked if i was ready to go home, i told her i didnt feel ready to go and she told me that i'd have to anyway cause they need the bed. again, not a huge deal but just made me a little less confident than i should have felt if that makes sense?

and to top it all off i never got refunded for the semi private costs even though i was only ever on a public ward! (nothing to do with the hospital but im on a bit of a rant now! :p)

that was just my experience though, others have only good words to say about the place.and in all honesty, both myself and baby were safe and sound and thats all that matters, the rest are just llittle things that make it easier. i just wanted you to know that sometimes no matter how good the hospital is as a whole, you could catch them on a bad day and have a few mix ups that make the overall experience a little disappointing (not the birth obviously, just the stay there!).

CK2010 wrote: »

then the day after the delivery i was still on the public ward and the nurse asked if i was ready to go home, i told her i didnt feel ready to go and she told me that i'd have to anyway cause they need the bed. again, not a huge deal but just made me a little less confident than i should have felt if that makes sense?

and to top it all off i never got refunded for the semi private costs even though i was only ever on a public ward! (nothing to do with the hospital but im on a bit of a rant now! :p)

that was just my experience though, others have only good words to say about the place.and in all honesty, both myself and baby were safe and sound and thats all that matters, the rest are just llittle things that make it easier. i just wanted you to know that sometimes no matter how good the hospital is as a whole, you could catch them on a bad day and have a few mix ups that make the overall experience a little disappointing (not the birth obviously, just the stay there!).

Were you charged for a semi private bed though? You semi private costs won't be refunded because you received semi private care throughout your pregnancy and labour. You are not gaurunteed a semi private bed upon delivery and you are told that before you give birth. If they charged your health insurance company for semi private bed though I would be looking for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

yeh thats what i meant, obviously since i was given semi private care prior to delivery i dont want that refunded but they charged for the public ward bed! which i was kicked out of after one night!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Thankyou for all the opinons good and not so good :) I had my appointment today and it was so great in comparison to Lourdes hospital in Drogheda where I was originally going to go.They seem to have more time for you and it IS cleaner,noticably cleaner!Even the receptionists are nicer :p Great for some piece of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Have had my 2 babies there and will be going back if a third decides to come along:) I went public and the waiting for appointments was a nightmare but the actual delivery/labour room/delivery room and after care were great. I may think about going private next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had two babies in the Rotunda and they were brillant, they were both preterm and spent time in the NICU. I had a baby there one year ago today and had a very usually complication caused by placental abruption and my 31 weeker had about 5 minutes to be born. I was in theatre and knocked out within minutes and they saved my son's life, without them ,I know he would not be celebrating his first birthday.

Advertisement