Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel - Graphs

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out here;

I need to label the horizontal axis quarterly - ie Q1, Q2 etc. I need to limit the axis to the 4 quarters and not the 5 separations as it stands. Anyone care to help an excel retard? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

you just need to label the number correctly, the chart needs to be told which amount belong to which qtr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cool, many thanks for that. One more stupid question; how do I label the axis? I need a € symbol above the figures on the Y axis and a label saying Revenue to the left of the figures, and I need a label below the Q1, Q2 etc intervals on the X axis saying time. How would one do this? :)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

when you click into the chart it displays the Chart Tools menu on the top ribbon, select the Layout tab and in that menu is the option to add and edit the various labels assigned to each data and axis

Hmm, can't get this to work. I'm not getting the quarterly intervals on the x axis, just number instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Personally I'd use the graph features as they were intended and not add extra bits on - like this

Although a Bar graph might be better

For the Y axis you could also format the amounts to thousands or millions and specify a currency format

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.

Basically what I'm getting at; I need to label the x axis of the graph and divide into 8 intervals (2 x 4 quarters - I'm doing two years as a continuation of each other on the one graph) but its coming out as 1-2-4-8 on the x axis. How do I change that?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

cson wrote: »
    Thanks for the help.

Basically what I'm getting at; I need to label the x axis of the graph and divide into 8 intervals (2 x 4 quarters - I'm doing two years as a continuation of each other on the one graph) but its coming out as 1-2-4-8 on the x axis. How do I change that?

cheers

Sorry, you have lost me, you would need to post another example

BTW, this is my favourite site for doing tricky stuff with Excel graphs - you can get Excel to do things you would not have thought possible
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html

I basically need column A as the intervals. 8 worded intervals.

I'm doing it on a smooth line scatter plot.

Advertisement