Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this value for money

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:28am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Ford Fiesta

50,000 miles

Engine rebuilt in November after the fan belt went and the engine seized

new battery, fully serviced and valeted, NCT for a year.

New tyres

E2,500 spent on it in June

Offered to me for E1,500 got it down to E1,200

just looking for a run around mine is very unlikely to pass the NCT next week and not sure it is worth getting the work done to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Sounds like a good deal to me, but I'm no expert. Are the brakes ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

"Engine rebuilt in November after the fan belt went and the engine seized"

I'd walk away TBH

Whats your current motor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

"Engine rebuilt in November after the fan belt went and the engine seized"

I'd walk away TBH

+1. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

50,000 miles on a 11yr old and needed an engine rebuilt? Genuine miles? May be ok but you would nearly get another 99 for that price without an engine rebuilt. I would also be wondering why did €2500 go into it in Nov and now getting rid of it. Why not keep it to get the money worth back? Again may be genuine but I won't buy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An engine rebuilt after a snapped timing belt is hardly unheard of.

OP, get the car fully checked out by a good trusted mechanic before deciding on it.

• Advertisement

Carstuck wrote: »
    50,000 miles on a 11yr old and needed an engine rebuilt? Genuine miles? May be ok but you would nearly get another 99 for that price without an engine rebuilt. I would also be wondering why did €2500 go into it in Nov and now getting rid of it. Why not keep it to get the money worth back? Again may be genuine but I won't buy it!!

Agreed I've a mate with a 99 Fiesta and it's nearly double that mileage without a rebuild, my brother had a 94 ex-garda one with mad mileage on it and he drove the ring out of it and couldn't kill it!! The older mks are a pretty solid car when looked after..but OP I'd certainly run from the one who've been offered!

Timing belts are made of rubber, rubber wears with time not just use or mileage. My guess would be that one of the previous owners didn't get the belt replaced at a timed interval because they they thought it didn't need to be replaced until a certain mileage.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Timing belts are made of rubber, rubber wears with time not just use or mileage. My guess would be that one of the previous owners didn't get the belt replaced at a timed interval because they they thought it didn't need to be replaced until a certain mileage.

LOL Thanks for the lesson on Timing belts :rolleyes:

Would the OP not be better off buying a car that hasn't been seriosuly neglected, i'd imagine there's plenty of decent fiestas out there in the current market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There are far better cars out there for that price...

What about a 3 series BMW? Loads on the market...very solid, reliable and far better street cred..;)

LOL Thanks for the lesson on Timing belts :rolleyes:

Would the OP not be better off buying a car that hasn't been seriosuly neglected, i'd imagine there's plenty of decent fiestas out there in the current market

I wasn't trying to educating you or anyone else on timing belts. ;)

My point is that the knee jerk reaction here seems to be to avoid the car without even seeing it or having it examined. Yes there are plenty of Fiestas out there but if a mechanic gives this one the thumbs up and the car is in good condition then I would at least consider it. Just because a car had the engine rebuilt doesn't mean it was automactically neglected. There are plenty of other signs to point towards neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

There are far better cars out there for that price...

What about a 3 series BMW? Loads on the market...very solid, reliable and far better street cred..;)

the OP is looking at an 11 yr old small engined hatchback and you are recommending looking at a 3 series instead?!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mr.David wrote: »
    the OP is looking at an 11 yr old small engined hatchback and you are recommending looking at a 3 series instead?!

Only a suggestion ****wit..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I wasn't trying to educating you or anyone else on timing belts. ;)

My point is that the knee jerk reaction here seems to be to avoid the car without even seeing it or having it examined. Yes there are plenty of Fiestas out there but if a mechanic gives this one the thumbs up and the car is in good condition then I would at least consider it. Just because a car had the engine rebuilt doesn't mean it was automactically neglected. There are plenty of other signs to point towards neglect.

Well rebuilt engine aside

Why would someone put 2500 euro into a 10 year old car and then sell it? That doesn't sound right.

This has the same asking price so you could probably get it for 1100: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1129630

I'm aware of the mileage but it isn't bad for a car of its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Vegeta wrote: »
    Why would someone put 2500 euro into a 10 year old car and then sell it? That doesn't sound right.

On the other hand, someone may have had plans to keep this car for a good bit longer and did a lot of preventative maintenance on it and now their circumstances have changed (emmigrating?) and all they can ask for it is "market value"
    This car could be perfect ....only an inspection will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Calm down!

Just saying, if the OP is looking (presumably) for a small, economical car with low outlay, low road tax, cheap to service & mantain etc then a 3 series is not appropriate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No more language like that.

Mr.David wrote: »

+1

And I can imagine the quality of 3 Series you would get on a budget of €1200 to €1500 even if the OP was looking for a car of this size.

Anyway back on topic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Whats your current motor?

2000 Daewoo Lanos

OP, get the car fully checked out by a good trusted mechanic before deciding on it.

My brother is selling it, he is a driver in the army and would know a fair bit about cars
    Carstuck wrote: »

My brother brought it for his gf and she move to england with work, he has a motor bike and the use of another car, so it is just sitting in his driveway

maybe it wasnt a fan belt but the engine had to be re-built

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So did your brother get the work done OR did the person he bought it from get the work done?

The reason I ask is because if your brother got the work done well then you know the history practically first hand and the miles are more than likely genuine.

What spec is the car, in the last post I made with the link to donedeal the car had practically everything, sunroof, electric everything, air con etc etc and its asking price was the selling price of your brothers.

So if the car has a similar spec and you know the history then it is good value.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My brother got the work done. he got it really cheap and done it up

Not sure of the spec, i know it was electric windows, a radio and a tape player and a cup holder :) (the cup holder was a deal breaker for me )

i am trying to decided whether it is worth my while getting work done my current car to get it through the NCT or not or buy this from ny brother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

irishbird wrote: »
    My brother got the work done. he got it really cheap and done it up

Not sure of the spec, i know it was electric windows, a radio and a tape player and a cup holder :) (the cup holder was a deal breaker for me )

i am trying to decided whether it is worth my while getting work done my current car to get it through the NCT or not or buy this from ny brother

You won't be able to answer that till your current car goes through the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

+1

And I can imagine the quality of 3 Series you would get on a budget of €1200 to €1500 even if the OP was looking for a car of this size.

Anyway back on topic.

Its a fair step from looking for a fiesta to a BMW 3 series.
    I dont know much about BMW's but would insurance tax and running costs not be a fair bit more than keeping a Fiesta going?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kippy wrote: »
    Its a fair step from looking for a fiesta to a BMW 3 series.
    I dont know much about BMW's but would insurance tax and running costs not be a fair bit more than keeping a Fiesta going?

I think the point about the 3 series has been made already. How about we just leave it at that?

Is it the 1.25 or 1.3? Not that it makes a huge difference, but the 1.25 would be better. If it's your brother who is selling it, and knows the work carried out etc, i wouldn't see the problem, so long as it's sound when checked out.

Advertisement