Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling over EA fee (percentage)

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering, when dealing with EA, do they all have some wiggle room with reguard to the % they charge. I have heard that even in the same area you can have a range from of about 0.5% between them.
    But is it a case they have some room to maneuver, e.g. if they were saying 1.75 would they come down to 1.5?
    I have even heard of 2% which seems very high but maybe you get what you pay for,i.e. service.

All thoughts welcome (please).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thanos wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering, when dealing with EA, do they all have some wiggle room with reguard to the % they charge. I have heard that even in the same area you can have a range from of about 0.5% between them.
    But is it a case they have some room to maneuver, e.g. if they were saying 1.75 would they come down to 1.5?
    I have even heard of 2% which seems very high but maybe you get what you pay for,i.e. service.

All thoughts welcome (please).
    Thanks.
    It can be negotiable.
    Good service and EA dont really go too well together in my general experience.
    If you can at all cut out the middle man. Take a few photos of the house, stick it up on daft/myhome/ in the local paper. If its priced to sell you'll get interest.
    Ensure you have a decent solicitor to handle the sale.

I've never seen the point in EA's when selling a house (well maybe if the owner isnt around or similiar)-they get/got extremely well paid for that they did, which in my opinion was minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I don't think Myhome allow private sellers, there was a thread on this subject somewhere on property pin the last couple of days. Consensus seemed to be a good local is a good option and service definitely doesn't rely on the price.

Good advice would be to phone as a perspective buyer and sample the service that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sodaev

You should be able to bargain them down, also keep an eye on the VAT charge, this will probably be on top of the percentage commission so at least try to get the percentage fee inclusive of VAT.

Advertisement