Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contriception in ireland

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

can anyone tell why women have to go to a doctor every six months just to be given a prescription to get the pill when in most other countries you just walk in to a pharmacy and buy it over the counter

every 6 months my girlfriend has to pay 60 euro to see the doctor
    then 13 euro each month for the next 6 months for the pill

now the thing is i don't care about the price of the pill i just have a problem with paying a doctor for nothing.

i could understand going to the doctor when the women start taken the pill just to make sure there is no adverse reaction to it, but after that why the terrible money making ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its crazy isin't it.

Its the influence of decades of the Catholic church and subsequent ministers not being bothered to do anything about it. IMO contraception is still considered a bit taboo in Ireland by many, no-one really talks about it or actively markets or promotes it. The Gov very much try to bury their head about the whole issue.

Hopefully the people campaigning that Ireland is breaching International Human rights by banning abortion will have some influence in this area as well. (I can't remember what they're called, but hear an interview on Newstalk the other day)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

In most other countries? In the UK you still need a prescription - it's the morning after pill that can be bought over the counter in certain circumstances.

I don't think the pill should be available over the counter - there can be issues where the pill causes blood pressure problems, clots etc that need monitoring by a health care professional. Yes it's a pain in the neck but to be honest I'd rather that than have elevated blood pressure for a prolonged period of time without knowing about it.

The morning after pill is a different kettle of fish though, I do think that should be available from pharmacies in a similar way to the UK - i.e. under controlled circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, in the Netherlands you need a prescription from the doctor too, and I wouldn't class that country as a bastion of repressed sexual mores :) I seem to remember though that my wife only needed to get a repeat prescription rather than a full doctor visit, which was cheaper. Not that it mattered since it was all covered by our (very expensive) medical insurance. I think she had to go to the doctor for a brief check up once a year or something like that.

@OP What country do you come from? Some countries, such as Spain, have very lax rules regarding the sale of medicines, but I think they're the exception in Western Europe. I've no idea what the situation is in Eastern European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The pill should be prescription only medicine simply to be able to monitor women for rare but potentially serious side effects.

I have mixed views on the morning after pill. I appreciate that it should be given ASAP to be most effective - but where it is available over the counter actually ends up being used as pseudocontraception by a significant minority.

I have had many a saturday/sunday early morning embarrassed phone call from both male and female friends of mine for the morning after pill and I never fail to deliver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

its got nothing to do with catholicism.

the pill is a prescription only medication because of its nature and potential side-effects, and potential interactions with many different medications, which would make it ineffective.

im not aware of any country where you can get the pill over teh counter.

and youre not "paying the doctor for nothing"

you're paying for teh service they provide - prescription writing, as well as teh knowledge and expertise to know you have no contraindications to taking the pill, and the physical check up thats necessary when on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The reason the you need to see adoctor for a repeat of the pill is primarily to check your blood pressure. There are other side effects as well which need to be checked for but blood pressure is the main reason it isn't given for more than 6 months (although is can be up to 12 months in the UK).
    Mixed feelings myself on the morning after pill but on balance I feel it should be available dierct form pharmacies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

Maybe your girlfriend should check whether it is the practice policy that she actually attends every 6 months? In my practice I insist on an annual blood pressure check and use that opportunity to check smoking status, whether her smears are up to date and also to check if is still a suitable method for her. Apart from that, the woman rings in for a 6 month script between visits. Note practice nurses also do pill checks and this can be cheaper.

By the way your girlfriend can save money by buying all 6 months of the pill together and only pay the one prescription charge.
    I hear babies are also expensive!

Advertisement