Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Seat Belt

Options
  • 28-01-2010 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you know that I bought a 97 Civic for my son recently.
    Dead pleased with it but just needs a few bits tidying up for the NCT in April. One thing I notice is that the Passengers seat belt is VERY slow to retract..
    I have read about a lifetime warranty on these.. Anyone know if this is covered here in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vectra wrote: »
    As some of you know that I bought a 97 Civic for my son recently.
    Dead pleased with it but just needs a few bits tidying up for the NCT in April. One thing I notice is that the Passengers seat belt is VERY slow to retract..
    I have read about a lifetime warranty on these.. Anyone know if this is covered here in Ireland?

First thing I'd check is whether the belt and the part above your shoulder that it goes through are dirty. If so, a bit of white spirit should clean it up and speed up the retraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

R.O.R wrote: »
    First thing I'd check is whether the belt and the part above your shoulder that it goes through are dirty. If so, a bit of white spirit should clean it up and speed up the retraction.

Yes. That part is free as a bird.. It appears as though the return spring is gone weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Also make sure the belt is clean. As long as it retracts it'll pass.

It's not difficult to replace it with one from a breakers yard. Extremely generous warranties are usually only in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

FWIW, I had exactly the same on my 98 some time ago. It was that the belt was dirty.

To fix I completely pulled out the seat belt and used a vice-grip at the B pillar support with a protective cloth to prevent it from going back in. Then I filled a basin with warm soapy water (it say to do this in the manual) and let it soak for a while. When completely dried it with a hair dryer and voila! Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks for the advice.
    Will give it a good clean later on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement