Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns in Limerick

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.

On others people's thoughts on Why NewcastleWest is a booming town that is attracting alot of redevoleopment in the town. Why hasnt Rathekeale not seen this population growth as other areas in Limerick. It seems the Limerick county council is really neglecting most towns in the county while trying to suck the life out of the city moonpoloy by focusing on Dooradoyle and Castletroy. Why is there not any attention os towns such as Askeaten,Kilmalock, Burff, Adare, Croom, Paticksweell, Cahercornlish, Castleconnel????

Either was John Gormly will give the boundary exstension the go ehead soon enough. I just dont get the planning in Limerick at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

mysterious wrote: »
    Just wondering.

On others people's thoughts on Why NewcastleWest is a booming town that is attracting alot of redevoleopment in the town. Why hasnt Rathekeale not seen this population growth as other areas in Limerick. It seems the Limerick county council is really neglecting most towns in the county while trying to suck the life out of the city moonpoloy by focusing on Dooradoyle and Castletroy. Why is there not any attention os towns such as Askeaten,Kilmalock, Burff, Adare, Croom, Paticksweell, Cahercornlish, Castleconnel????

Either was John Gormly will give the boundary exstension the go ehead soon enough. I just dont get the planning in Limerick at all.

It is cheaper to maintenance water, swearge etc in one location. Newcastle West is the premier Town in the County with Kilmalock and Abbeyfeale comes second and third. Adare is booming there is lots of building going on there. Bruree expanded fast during the boom. Raheen/Dooradoyle, Castletroy/mollean/Annacothy have expanded due to lots of Jobs nearby that people have moved to where there is better facilities are available due to better access to shops and less travel to Work. This what John Gormley and the Green Party want. Everybody in few places as possible and kill one off houses, that include Villages and small Towns. It is cheaper to maintain few services so that why planning is poor in rural small towns and villages. Same goes with every county council in Ireland.
    Planning in the city council is worse due to the high crime rate and people who don;t care enogh to keep the housing estates well, and those families are been exported to the county by the HSE and City council into surrounding counties and councils areas. Hand off our county and keep your trash.

Why hasnt Rathekeale not seen this population growth as other areas in Limerick

Have you ever been to Rathkeale? I dont think anyone in their right mind would move to Rathkeale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Have you ever been to Rathkeale? I dont think anyone in their right mind would move to Rathkeale
    The funny thing is that Rathkeale was the largest town in the county up until the late 1960s. It lost its local TD (who's name i forget) and has gone downhill ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

mysterious is using Rathkeale as s/he know 1/2 of that town has been taken over by the traveling community over the years. It has not got a population boom as there is not much there in Facilities such as Abbeyfeale and Kilmallock, and Adare, Bruff, etc.

If fact s/he is wrong about Rathkeale. It does have a population boom during the summer months, but lately they been moving out of Rathkeale and buying houses in the surrounding areas. The people in Rathkkeale are far better than those in many part of Limerick City. Rathkeale have been looked after far better than other towns as they have a sitting TD (Dan Neville) and his son is the county councillor for the Rathkeale area.

OP think that Limerick council is not investing in the local towns and village. OP is completely wrong.
    The village/Town Tidy Towns committees are very depended on Council help on improvement works to be rated highly in tidy town. you can read the report on
    http://www.tidytowns.ie/reports.php?county=Limerick&year=2009

After decades of under investment by the government in Limerick Council. It is catch up for the last decade in upgrading existing facilities. Limerick council council with thanks to companies who move in the the area used the funds to start improvement infrastructure & facilitates. It is an ongoing work.

Here is a small sample on what Limerick council work has done for the last decade and future intentions, provide they received the funds.
    http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/42CC0CA3-5759-45A6-BD85-FEE03DE7CD8C/0/FinalmanagersreportJune2009.pdf

http://www.lcc.ie/Planning/County_Development_Plans/Draft_Dev_Plan2010-2016/English/
    http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/EFEB38A2-D448-4AD0-A0A3-61C90F9A86C2/0/Volume1WrittenStatementCombined.pdf
    From page 16 table 1.1 It is interesting that the population in every council area around the city have increased from 13.5% to 18% from 1996 to 2006 yet the Limerick city population have only increased by 1% in the same period. The National average in that time frame is 17%.

Limerick County Council is not perfect, it is a hell of a lot better than the current city council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Give Castletroy and Dooradoyle back to the city, and we will see that change rapidly;)

I believe Gormly wants put Limerick city as one authority. Hes has connections with Limerick city and I think hes a fan of proper progress in local authorities. The greens always play a big role in these areas.

As for comparing the country(with Limerick suburbas) to they 1950 year old city limits of Limerick

is very lame.:rolleyes:

Sad and unapatriotic of you to be a Limerick man. How disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Another fine attempt to push your ideals on people Mysterious.

Dont pay any attention to the OP - he is only looking for attention

Mc Love wrote: »
    Another fine attempt to push your ideals on people Mysterious.

Dont pay any attention to the OP - he is only looking for attention

Learn to have respect for other people, and if you don't like or respect others don't post in the thread or speak with people.

Learn to have respect for other people, and if you don't like or respect others don't post in the thread or speak with people.

What has that to do with anything I wrote. If anyone wants to know more about what I wrote - please visit the boundary issue thread on the Limerick City forum.

Mysterious wants to share the "great" planning and organisation of the city council with us people that live in the county but if it was down to us, we would be having none of it.

What has that to do with anything I wrote. If anyone wants to know more about what I wrote - please visit the boundary issue thread on the Limerick City forum.

Mysterious wants to share the "great" planning and organisation of the city council with us people that live in the county but if it was down to us, we would be having none of it.

We are having none of this corruption any longer.

The city should be run as one city, end of story. We are having none of this mess anymore.
    's
    As a human being who look at a community and understands how it operates I see it should be one as one community with all sections of society within it working in a balanced, connect coherent fashion. Meaning, a city should be run as a city from the centre to its boundary.

This isn't the debate of argument its a fact.

Look at Galway, they can do it ok. Why can't we? Ah its back to corruption, Limerick county council doesnt want to lose its profits from sponging of the city urban area. The boundary is going to be extended one way or another. Every city boundary get's extended over time. It's common logic.

Limerick county needs to focus developing its county, and let the city itself run its city.

Meaning, a city should be run as a city from the centre to its boundary
    Isnt that what is done at present? It is run from the center to the boundary!

Limerick county needs to focus developing its county, and let the city itself run its city.

Limerick county does focus on developing its county same as the city itself runs the city

:D

• Advertisement

Isnt that what is done at present? It is run from the center to the boundary!

But not all of the city is in the boundary, that will be changing soon.
    Limerick county does focus on developing its county same as the city itself runs the city

:D[/QUOTE]

It will once the ciy suburbs are given back to Limerick city.

:D

It will once the ciy suburbs are given back to Limerick city.[/QUOTE]

Given back? They were never part of the city to begin with

limklad wrote: »
    mysterious is using Rathkeale as s/he know 1/2 of that town has been taken over by the traveling community over the years. It has not got a population boom as there is not much there in Facilities such as Abbeyfeale and Kilmallock, and Adare, Bruff, etc.

If fact s/he is wrong about Rathkeale. It does have a population boom during the summer months, but lately they been moving out of Rathkeale and buying houses in the surrounding areas. The people in Rathkkeale are far better than those in many part of Limerick City. Rathkeale have been looked after far better than other towns as they have a sitting TD (Dan Neville) and his son is the county councillor for the Rathkeale area.
    Tom Neville (Dan's son) didn't stand for re-election in last years local elections. Stephen Keary is now the CC for the Rathkeale area. So basically one Croagh man replacing another :)

Given back? They were never part of the city to begin with
    beat me to it! Dooradoyle, Castletroy, etc has always been County Council land and will hopefully continue to be for a long time to come.

grenache wrote: »
    beat me to it! Dooradoyle, Castletroy, etc has always been County Council land and will hopefully continue to be for a long time to come.

It won't the city boundary will be going ahead. It's the nature of any city that expands. The rates the county get from the city is not deserving when much of the county council has left much of the county rot away.

Limerick county council needs to focus on the county and stop sponguing of the city, and making a mess of the planning issue in this city that is leaving the city centre under complete strange from the out of town retial sprawl.

I didn't get an answer to that:D

Greedy Limerick county councilors go quiet eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

if limerick city doesn't grow, the rest of the county doesn't, and since there's no TD in the city anymore, you might as well forget about improvements. Anyway, limerick city is going downhill since a long time ago now. Look at the borders. The city is right beside county Clare. Personally, I think that areas close to limerick located in county Clare e.g cratloe, ardnacrusha and parteen etc should be part of limerick county. Stupid borders IMO.

Oh and imo, I think we needno county council. If we had the population, i'd love to see an urban council instead.

Limerick is fail.

I didn't get an answer to that:D

Greedy Limerick county councilors go quiet eh.

The reason - because we have all lives outside - you might try it sometime

oh and how is the County council sponging off the city?

Advertisement