Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is 55k miles too much in 2 years?

Options
  • 28-01-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Went to look at a car this evening, an automatic diesel VW Tiguan, which is extremely hard to come by, I don't want to get into the debate about why this car or an auto just yet ;)

But it's a lovely specimin, all the extras, air con, adapative xenon lights, detachable towbar, parking assist etc etc and in great nic, not a mark.

The price is decent enough still a bit of work to do but not a million miles away but it's a 2008 (early) with 56,500 miles just shy of 90k KM's

if this car had 35 or even 40k I probably would of done the deal there and then. Now it's a diesel so yes it can handle more miles and it drove like a dream. He offered to change the timing belt and water pump and full service with new tyres and a years warranty.

Everything is fantastic apart from the mileage, this is the only Auto Tiguan I've found in 3 months and part of me says buy cos they are so rare and of course it's what I've been looking for, but as the question remains is nearly 56k miles too much for a two year old car?

I'll prob do 12-14k myself a year and hopefully I'd hold onto it for at least 3, so theres 100k miles, can't see the trade in being super then!

appreciate yer thoughts
    hick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

hick wrote: »
    He offered to change the timing belt and water pump and full service with new tyres and a years warranty.

That's good. The car has your perfect spec and you get the rare auto too. I presume it has a full history of all the services too? I wouldn't be too worried that it has slightly higher than average miles. Did you check it was used as a taxi though?

I wouldn't worry too much about resale either. At your acceptable 40k miles plus 3 years times 13k miles it will have 80k miles on it. This car will have 96k miles on it. Since the display is in kilometres, both will be well over 100k km :D

What would worry me a lot more is if the car uses DMF (dual mass flywheel). If it does, you could very well have a €1,500-€2,000 bill (at dealer prices) coming up at about 80k-100k miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

thanks unkel, still feel like it's a bit high and for the info on the flywheel, never even thought of that!!!!

suppose the real question is, how will the price be impacted in 3 years on a diesel with 50k miles versus one with 100k? I just don't want to turn up at a deal in 3 years time and find it's worth 15% of what I paid

I had a look on carzone at prices for "suv's" 5 years old 100k miles and it ranges from 8k-29k so I'd conservatively estimate I'd get 15k on a trade in in 3 years if it was still in good nic and mileage was kept as close to early 80's as possible?

What ye reckon????

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭carmad

I wouln't worry about that milage, but I'd like to know its been serviced well.
    I would do a full history check on it for peace of mind. Even though its rare type (auto), their not in the same league as a landcruiser. So I would be wanting great value. Their certainly a lovely wagon, best of luck. Aren't they meant to be very hard on tyres though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I just don't want to turn up at a deal in 3 years time and find it's worth 15% of what I paid
    What you lose then, you save now.
    The miles are already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

unkel wrote: »
    What would worry me a lot more is if the car uses DMF (dual mass flywheel). If it does, you could very well have a €1,500-€2,000 bill (at dealer prices) coming up at about 80k-100k miles...

If it's an auto the DMF is hardly something to worry about though is it;)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I had a look on carzone at prices for "suv's" 5 years old 100k miles and it ranges from 8k-29k so I'd conservatively estimate I'd get 15k on a trade in in 3 years if it was still in good nic and mileage was kept as close to early 80's as possible?

What ye reckon????

Not a hope I'd say. A reasonably leggy 5 year old Tiguan would not attract that type of trade in price (even though they aren't that old yet). If you were getting 15k the dealer would probably have to be putting a price of 17-18k on it. No one in their right mind would pay that. Your logic is flawed comparing it to other SUVs as some could be more valuable and all that.

But if the price of the car now compensates for any loss in the future it would be a decent buy, especially considering they are going to do any work needed. Remember that you may also have other wear and tear items needing replacement while in your ownership that you might not need to do on a lower mileage car.

If it's an auto the DMF is hardly something to worry about though is it;)?

I was presuming the Tiguan has DSG?

Just did quick google, no definite results. In the US all modern VAG diesel autos seem to use DSG, but here there seems to be a mixture of DSG and tiptronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

This one has a DSG 4 motion gearbox

i compared it to SUV's Estates and MPV's, but yeh you're right 15k is hoping for too much
    it's cost 30k in total so I reckon it's not a runner despite the high spec

This one has a DSG 4 motion gearbox

4 motion means it has 4 wheel drive (some of them are only 2 wheel drive)

The DSG is a very good gear box. It is the best of both worlds, really. As quick as a manual transmission (in real life actually quicker) and not using any more fuel than a manual, or very little more. With all the benefits that come with a traditional auto. And if you want to drive it like a manual, you get superfast gear changes

An autobox suits a modern diesel very well, as loads of torque is available at low revs. Drive it gently and the box won't change gear very often.

Advertisement