Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor line quality for international calls (eircom landlines)

Options
  • 28-01-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that in the last year or two, any very long distance calls (US, Asia, Australia) seem to have various call quality issues. Always involving a landline to landline call, on either eircom or eircom reseller (vodafone, UTV, Perlico, Imagine etc) lines. Not if the person was roaming with their mobile for some reason.

I was reminded of it again today when I spoke to someone who doesn't really call home (Japan) while in Ireland but does when he visits friends in the UK. In Ireland, he found skype better for calls!

I've had and made calls from the US, Canada, Australia and Thailand IIRC in the last 2 years. All of them had some sort of problem. The echo cancellation not working was the worst, as hearing yourself half a second after you speak is a bit distracting:mad: Usually either me or the other party would have volume issues, or a severe delay in hearing a response, so bad that I once made a call as if it was CV radio so that we didn't keep talking over each other.

Here's a good example. I was in regular contact with someone in Florida for a month or so, and he had free calls from the landline he had access to (didn't have to pay the bill at least). Every time, the call either was perfect for him but the echo cancellation didn't work, or I was fine but my friend heard me 2 seconds after I spoke.

Does anyone have any ideas of what causes this?! It's not a big deal for me but I would have expected that calls would be a bit more reliable in this day and age. I haven't used skype for various reasons btw but I would if I needed to make regular international calls.

Advertisement