Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki Jimny - can I justify it?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all,

I've been looking for a small, economical 4x4 for a while now, and have the following requirements...

. I pay enough tax to the revenue and council, I want a small engine, cheap to tax.

. I want running costs very low, with selectable 2/4 wheel drive for economy.

. Cheap to service too, and simple.

.My weekly Mileage is low, about 100 miles per week, with a run up to Dublin maybe once a quarter.

.Daily run to work is 10 miles each way, cross-country on bad roads.

.God knows how I am still alive driving in ice in a 98 mondeo on its last legs since mid december.

.Mondeo Wheel bearing humming is a constant reminder that its time to move on...

.Long ago when young and fit I used to drive a defender, but am too too lazy and poor to afford driving/fueling/servicing one.

.Have a good family car so the new purchase will be my bus.

.I do a spot of shooting, mostly clay pigeons, and a couple of the shooting grounds are hard to reach, with water, ice, ruts you name it... quarries, forestry etc.

.Best buddy has a Terios, and I like it, but dont want the same. He has a dog and I dont so I wont need the additional space.

. I really like the new shape Terios but most of them are 2WD, the 4WD are like hens teeth and expensive...

. I drove a 3 door 2006 Grand Vitara yesterday and cant see the advantage apart from width over the Jimny. There is sh*g all space in the Vitara.And the 1.6 3 door has only high-range gearbox.

.So I think the Jimny is for me, willing to spend up to 8k on one.

. I am not a hair dresser by trade by the way...

Please tell me if I am mad or not, and why...

Cheers & thanks,

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

How about this

From what I hear they are a good little jeep. Cheap tax and capable enough off road. Beside you too. You will also have change left over some some nice wheels/tyres! :)

View2?id=2174917

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

My sister used to have a Jimny, great fun but an appaling ride, pitches and bounces around all over the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've had a Jimny for four years and I would say it sounds ideal for your situation.

A few drawbacks though:
    -the ride is VERY bouncy. Make sure you test drive one on a bad road before you commit
    - it is not quite as economical as it ought to be ..roundabout 8L/100 km ; 35 mpg on average
    - it is not a motorway cruiser. It'll do for a long trip once a quarter, it'll do your head in if you have to do it every day
    - the Bridgestone tyres that are usually on it are pretty useless, get decent ones.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend 8k on one. Decent examples can be had for much less. Overall the Jimny is very reliable (I had no faults in four years except for the front right kingpin bearing), service and parts costs are reasonable ...there is no reason why an older one shouldn't keep going for another few years.

Plus it won't hurt so much to drive a few scratches into an older/cheaper one ...because that's what you will do if you're going to take the Jimny to the borders of its off-road capabilities.

I'd try to get an ex girlie car, slightly older (and cheap) that has never seen off road ...spend some money on decent tyres and a full service and grease job and then go and have FUN with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...another thing ...

In 2005 they changed the 4WD selection from a chunky second gear lever to girly buttons on the dash.

By all accounts the switchable selection is not as dependable as the manual one ...another reason to go for an older/cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Thanks to all for your input, all very useful.

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

As an example, there's an 06 one for sale in the UK for £4400 that has heaps of off road extras on it inc conversion to manual 4wd.

If you scratch or bend it you can always look here for what to do with it - www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Hitch a ride from your mates to the shooting grounds?

Advertisement