Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little tip or all the Mammy to be's

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    My little girl is 12 weeks old today so i thought i would pass on a little tip that i found extremely helpful.
    My little madam is in the habit of drinking half her bottle, taking a little break -getting her nappy changed, then taking the second half.
    Sometimes it isnt practical to leave the room to wash your hands when shes shouting for her second half :D.. so i have my antibacterial hand gel in her nappy bag, sqeeze it on...
    Dries in a matter of seconds and you have 99.9% bacteria free handies. Its great, you dont have to place her in her pram, go out to wash the handies then come back in...
    You can wait till after the feed to wash your hands properly or when its more practical or you..
    Great when your changing nappies out of the house too.
    Anywho i found it great to have a little bottle in the nappy bag so i thought id pass it on.
    If anybody has any more tips feel free to post away. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eggtop_r

great tip:D thanks for that...due in 16 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Oh it will fly by....
    My little one is nearly 14weeks now and its just gone by in a flash.
    Are you starting to get big now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eggtop_r

a bit of a bump, but least you can recognise its a bump now and now just a fat belly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

ha ha ha yeah when i was about 28 weeks pregnant, somebody said to one o my friends... god shes putting on a bit of weight isnt she ha ha. Any names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Another tip. Don't buy so much you really won't need it!! 3rd baby so you think I would have learned by now but yet again I bought loads of stuff I didn't need. IMO the essentials are:

Cot and bedding for it (moses basket ect are nice but usually last about 6 weeks and baby can be put straight into cot from birth)
    Clothes for baby for hospital (you will then get heaps of stuff from family and friends)
    Baby wipes, vasaline, nappy bags, nappies and cotton wool for changing.
    Pram
    Car seat
    steriliser and bottles if bottle feeding
    Lots of sanitary towels for you

If you have all this and baby arrives tomorrow you will be grand! The other stuff can wait til you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I know I'm male and all...but for after the birth I'd say don't bother with disposable knickers. Just get some cheap ones from penneys and throw them away instead. Those disposable yokes are dreadful. Even the midwife said it to us. Hindsight and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Idea of disposable knickers freaks me out...I'm only putting nappies on my baby, I think I can manage with real underwear for myself...

Also, people seem to be getting cheap ones a size or 2 bigger than normal and I don't understand why - maternity pads don't look that huge...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Maternity pads are not that huge, though you may end up wearing 2, one on top of the other initally untill the bleeding settles. You will also be glad the pants are a bit loose, for comfort. Also, if you end up having a section you need them to go over the wound, and room for a catheter tube.
    Sorry to be so brutal, but in this case bigger is better!
    The dispossable ones are uncomfortable, they tear etc. Cheap granny knickers are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I don't like the idea of disposables either. I have also heard that they don't actually hold the pad in place very well, so you can get a lot of leakage!

I went out and bought a couple of packs of granny knickers a size or two too big for me. Dunnes is selling packs of 5 or 6 of them for 2 euro at the moment. Can't beat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep got the granny knickers in penneys they go up passed my belly button!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I ended up sending for even bigger Grannies after my emergency section. Trust me get them big enough so they just about stay up.

My tip for the hospital is if you want to breastfeed have everything you need in your bag. I found the following really useful: nipple shells (and sheilds although I ended up not needing those), Lansinoh balm, breastfeeding book. If you need stuff for nipple pain it'll be at 3am not when the chemist's open.

Also Muslin Cloths are ridiculously useful in the hospital. Used them as spit rags, changing mats, mid-change wee soakers, swaddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I ended up sending for even bigger Grannies after my emergency section. Trust me get them big enough so they just about stay up.

My tip for the hospital is if you want to breastfeed have everything you need in your bag. I found the following really useful: nipple shells (and sheilds although I ended up not needing those), Lansinoh balm, breastfeeding book. If you need stuff for nipple pain it'll be at 3am not when the chemist's open.

Also Muslin Cloths are ridiculously useful in the hospital. Used them as spit rags, changing mats, mid-change wee soakers, swaddling.

Ohh thanks for reminding me about the muslin cloths! I had a mishap on my bed while changing Addison when she was a couple of hours old! Used the muslins after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

beachbabe wrote: »
    Maternity pads are not that huge, though you may end up wearing 2, one on top of the other initally untill the bleeding settles. You will also be glad the pants are a bit loose, for comfort. Also, if you end up having a section you need them to go over the wound, and room for a catheter tube.
    Sorry to be so brutal, but in this case bigger is better!
    The dispossable ones are uncomfortable, they tear etc. Cheap granny knickers are the way to go.

Don't be sorry, I'd rather people actually tell me, otherwise it makes no sense to me at all! I'm not a fan of tight panties anyway so if I get the ones 2 sizes too big they'll actually fall off me!!!:eek:

Advertisement