Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's my money!??

Options
  • 27-01-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello there. my housemates and i get our braudband from chorus. everything is cool till it comes to bill time. 2 of my housemates pay on time always but one has owed me money for 3 months now and next week the bills are due. he owes me 40 euro alone for the internet (another 60 for the bins). he uses a wireless connection on his laptop. so i was wondering how do i block his wireless connection? it might make him hurry up with paying the bill. please help. thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hello there. my housemates and i get our braudband from chorus. everything is cool till it comes to bill time. 2 of my housemates pay on time always but one has owed me money for 3 months now and next week the bills are due. he owes me 40 euro alone for the internet (another 60 for the bins). he uses a wireless connection on his laptop. so i was wondering how do i block his wireless connection? it might make him hurry up with paying the bill. please help. thank you

set a new password on the wireless and give it to people paying the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnnySmiles

how do i set a new password. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

you need to access the router at 192.168.1.1 i think depending on your router and find the wireless setting. Why did you pay the bill for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnnySmiles

it comes out of my bank account and i didnt they would have cut us off and we would have to pay 50 euro for reconnection. stoney **** has money for weed but not bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Set up mac address filtering. That'll stop him even if he gets the password out of one of the other people sharing with you. Sneaky and slightly evil but rewarding!!!!

• Advertisement

Don't broadcast the SSID (Broadband wireless name) and change the password.

Try this address for you router:

http://192.168.1.1

Look under the Wireless section if there is one. Or ring your ISP and they should be able to tell you how to do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Yes I'd change the WPA Key regulary and only allow certain MAC addresses to use your access point.

One point to note though is that MAC addresses can be spoofed very easily so never rely on MAC restriction exclusively. If you did, anyone with a little knowledge could stick their WNIC into monitor mode to see what MAC ADDRS are associated with the WAP and use a valid MAC address as their own.

Security = none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Syntax

Im not sure does that really matter.. Ive a fealing that the guy not paying the bill isnt a hacker type. If he is then we all know its a more complex fix but obviously they have a very open facility right now so any little may help. But your right for pointing it out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

UPC should give you a easy step-by-step way on how to change your password of your wireless connection.

You might find what your looking for here: http://www.upc.ie/customersupport/
    or contact UPC support here: http://www.upc.ie/customersupport/contact_us/contact_technical/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Yeah setup a new wpa password between you and your freind and turn broadcasting SSID off as mentioned,i wouldnt go as far as MAC filtering as its not that easy to get around as stated already too.

no mon,no fun,no internet :) why are some people so tight il never know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement