Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuchal Scan?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Has anyone had one of these done?

I'm only 6 weeks pregnant, and have only told 3 friends. One of them said to me today, Oh I forgot about your age (I'm 36), what would you do if you found out the baby had downs or spina bifida, would you consider a termination. :mad:

I'm still completely fuming at her for saying that to me. She apologised and said she shouldnt have said it, but too late......she did and she cant take it back now.

It has me thinking, should I get a nuchal scan. They say there is a risk of miscarraigh with it though?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a chance of miscarriage with an amnio not a nuchal fold scan. You can get the scan done and then proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Congrats on the pregnancy!
    The nuchal scan (and usually, bloodwork) is done around 12 weeks. There is no risk of misscarriage with it, but there are many false positives (ie they think there may be something wrong, but are not sure). If you get a positive, what they usually suggest is repeat bloodwork and an amnio around 16 weeks. There is a small risk of misscarriage with the amnio.

Whether to do it is totally up to you. I know women who would never abort but had it done, because they wanted to be able to prepare themselves, shoudl they have a Downs baby. For me- I am also 36 years of age, and currently 36 weeks pregnant- I decided against it. My reasoning was that I would not do the amnio due to the misscarriage risk, and didn't want a possibly false positive to stress me out for the rest of the pregnancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am 35 and I got the nuchal and the blood test that can go with it. Psychologically I found the test hard and alomst did not go through with it (I had nightmares for days before) but my husband and I agreed that no matter what we would keep our baby, I just wanted to have a better idea of the odds of our baby being ill, that did help. I found that a lot of the staff were actively against me having the scan which added to the stress...would do it again though if we get lucky again. My mum also had me at 35 and it was not available then. Would be anti the invasive tests as would not get rid of the baby no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HappyDays2010

Thanks everyone.

I just booked in today for the normal scan, I'm going to get it done when I'm 10 weeks. :)

Advertisement