Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reclaiming motor tax?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I was in a car crash about a month ago. I am no looking to reclaim some motor tax as my car was written off (not my fault thankfully). I've been looking at the form here: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,17194,en.pdf

but it doesn't cite a car being "written off" as a reason#? What should I do? the only option closest to that is that it was destroyed but I have no idea if the other insurance company will do that. I only found out today about it being written off (crazy backlogs due to number of claims nationwide apparently). If I don't get it in by Friday I will lose a month's tax as it says it is taxed from the 1st of the month following surrender of tax disc, so I'd like to send it by tomorrow? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

tommy21 wrote: »
    Hey all, I was in a car crash about a month ago. I am no looking to reclaim some motor tax as my car was written off (not my fault thankfully). I've been looking at the form here: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,17194,en.pdf

but it doesn't cite a car being "written off" as a reason#? What should I do? the only option closest to that is that it was destroyed but I have no idea if the other insurance company will do that. I only found out today about it being written off (crazy backlogs due to number of claims nationwide apparently). If I don't get it in by Friday I will lose a month's tax as it says it is taxed from the 1st of the month following surrender of tax disc, so I'd like to send it by tomorrow? thanks

How long is left on the tax? If it's less than 3 months they don't refund it iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Confab wrote: »
    How long is left on the tax? If it's less than 3 months they don't refund it iirc.

Sorry forgot to add it runs to May 2010. (As in 05-10 on tax disc), so 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If the insurance paid out for the car it belongs to them so you wouldn't be able to claim it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

barry81 wrote: »
    If the insurance paid out for the car it belongs to them so you wouldn't be able to claim it back.

That doesn't sound plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I could be wrong, but if they paid out you would have to give them the log book. I'm sure you need that to declare the car scrapped. They're basically buying the car off you.

• Advertisement

They haven't paid out yet though it has been assessed. They rang today to double check on mileage, how long NCT was left and what type of service history it had (couldn't tell them then so due to ring back tomorrow). An interesting point re. ownership, should i so be asking them to consider the final 3/4 months in my claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tommy21 wrote:
    it doesn't cite a car being "written off" as a reason#?
    confab wrote:
    That doesn't sound plausible.

A car that's an insurance write-off could end up back on the road in weeks, so that makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

barry81 wrote: »
    Correct. This happened to me a while back, I had them take the tax value into account when agreeing a figure for the car.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Correct. This happened to me a while back, I had them take the tax value into account when agreeing a figure for the car.

Thanks that's what I'll do so tomorrow. Out of interest, what valuation do you guys (and gals) think for a 1999 Fiat Punto 1.2 with 56,000 on clock, and a NCT that was good until May 2011? I called into the dealer where it was bought years ago, they said car of same value 1700€. I looked on car buyers guide.ie and I was getting values of €1200-€1400 for that mileage. I can't remember did it get much servicing which may stand against me, always ran fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It has to be actually scrapped and not just wirtten of economically to be able to reclaim tax doesnt it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement