Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Limerick

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi guys, hoping you can help. I'm going to limerick this weekend with the new boyfriend. Our first weekend away. I don't really enjoy the usual museums/galleries type of stuff, but i'm looking for different things to do. Have you any ideas?

We will most definitely go for a drink and to a club - any suggestions?
    During the day I'm hoping to find some cool tours... anyone any suggestions? It's been kinda hard to find anything we want to do apart from the angela's ashes tour but it seems to be on only on weekdays so we'll miss it unfortunately... not getting down til about 3/4pm friday.

I'd love some suggestions. Oh it's limerick city btw and we don't drive.
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Smiths is a nice place to go for a drink there'd be some sort of music on there too usually fairly good, its near the Icon Nite club which is good on a Saturday. My favourite place for dinner in town is definitely the Texas Steakout, they've great variety there its a cool enough place too. As for tours I wouldn't know much about them but if either you or your BF are interested in Rugby you should definitely check out Thomand Park, I presume they give tours of the place it's really nice there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

there's a nice walk along the shannon between the city centre and UL, if you like that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can still get a bus or taxi to Bunratty Castle and Folk park. http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/BunrattyCastleFolkPark/

Here is a link

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202386324-343ls.pdf

You can get the bus from Dunnes Stores on Henry Street across from the Savoy 5* Hotel. Easy to find OR the bus station / train station.

There is a link to restaurants in Limerick on the main page here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055507096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Agree, Bunratty is a good laugh! The bus is only €6 return and takes no time at all. Gallaghers pub is nice if you fancy some frub and there is a little pub in the folk park that does a nice guinness.

In my opionion, I wouldn't bother with the Texas Steakout - throwback to the 80's. I think that its reputation was built in the days when there was no choice, now there is plenty. The River Bistro does a 3 course set menu for €35 Fri/€40 Saturday. Have eaten here a few times and would go back again. Hamptons steak house gets mixed reviews but I have to say I have been impressed with the quality of the steak on each visit. Tanjore Palace does a mean Indian. For Chinese you cannot go wrong with a visit to Jasmine Palace. Chocolat does 3 courses for €19.95 - haven;t been there myself. Give the Wild Onion Cafe a try for brunch.

On Saturdays there is a market on until 2pm - haven't been in a while myself. Kilaloe would be nice for a walk and some lunch in Goosers, not sure what buses go out there.

Enjoy the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I think there is an open bus ride around the city (not sure of the details).
    Other than that I am not sure of other tours but would think the spin out to Bunratty would be worth it.

I'd definately agree with the above in relation to the Texas Steakhouse - real throw back to the 80's and not somewhere I'd like to be on my first weekend away with the new boy. Loads of more choice (Au bars and cornstore for food along with the other suggestions above).

If you guys are foodies then the market on Sat morning is well worth the nose around and I think the weather is supposed to be nice (frosty but nice) so a chance to wrap up and suggle up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There are many Weekend breaks for the more adventurous Couple seeking something edgy and adrenalin soaked - Also check out http://www.lebanontourism.com/

Only joking (well maybe not about walking from City to UL :eek:) You really need the weather for Bunratty, but if its going to be any way dry then its a really nice day out, the Folk park has a load of reconstructed Cottages and a Village Centre with a School, Shops and a Pub the Castle is very, very impressive to explore......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

you should go unigolfing, very unique for Limerick and really good fun!

http://www.unigolfclub.com/

theres also tours of the city, open top bus and i think theres a river tour too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Theres a matinee of "memory Deleted" on in the boutique hotel on denmark street at around 3pm, its only on for the weekend and is fantastic.

Advertisement