Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices

Options
  • 27-01-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am looking for a place in the next few weeks, am looking at rents, does anyone know if they are still negotiable?

Cheers

Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

always, now more than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Yep.

Do your research first though so you can argue from good information

Daft is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

What is the best strategy when it comes to haggling when you have found a place you like. What is the best policy for such negotiations? Anyone got any advice or tips to follow.
    Cheers
    JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Jacob55 wrote: »
    What is the best strategy when it comes to haggling when you have found a place you like. What is the best policy for such negotiations? Anyone got any advice or tips to follow.
    Cheers
    JJ

Contact them and tell them that you're interested but that the rent doesn't reflect current market conditions accurately and that you'd want it for less. At this point you can either leave it to them to suggest a lower price if they're willing to budge, or you throw an offer on the table that you'd be willing to pay.

It's impossible to predict whether they'll accept what you offer or laugh and tell you no. It definitely doesnt hurt to ask. If they say no keep an eye on the property. If it's still up for rent a week or two after then you could always approach again.

Do your research, keep an eye on similar properties in the area. Take a look at www.irishpropertywatch.com also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd almost be shocked if they didn't negotiate in the current market- to be honest. Even in the good times- it pays to negotiate- nothing ventured, nothing gained- but now moreso than at any time in the past 15 years........

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try to use it.
    The problem that I have is that all 2 bedroom apartments in the area that I am looking seem to be in and around the same price (EUR1200 - 1250), so when it comes to justifying that one should be cheaper its difficult. I guess when I start negotiating and if I get the price down on one I can use that as a bargaining tool?

cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jacob55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will try to use it.
    The problem that I have is that all 2 bedroom apartments in the area that I am looking seem to be in and around the same price (EUR1200 - 1250), so when it comes to justifying that one should be cheaper its difficult. I guess when I start negotiating and if I get the price down on one I can use that as a bargaining tool?

Cheers
    Gavin

Where are you looking?
    1200-1250 is *not* the going rate for a 2-bed apartment unless its in an incredibly prestigious location these days. If you give people an idea of where you're looking- and what your search criterion are- they may be able to come up with some useful suggestions for you?

Hi again,
    I'm looking for 2 bedroom in the Dundrum/Sandyford/Stillorgan areas of Dublin. Looking on Daft and all 2 beds are in and around the same price mark. I have yet to start negotiating on a price but I will definitely have to as €1200pm is too much.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement