Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt Question

Options
  • 27-01-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but ive been reading a good few threads and none are very clear on this. Is it true that if you own your car for 6 months in Northern Ireland then you can bring it down here for without having to pay vrt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

m.j.w wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but ive been reading a good few threads and none are very clear on this. Is it true that if you own your car for 6 months in Northern Ireland then you can bring it down here for without having to pay vrt?
    If you can demonstrate that you have been resident in NI and using the car there for the previous year then you can bring it in VRT-free on a transfer of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They'll look for utility bills etc. in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They'll look for utility bills etc. in your name.
    Absolutely. They've heard all the excuses, if you can't provide documented proof of residence abroad then you may forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Normally proof of insurance is what they look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I tried this. Owned and drove a car in the UK for 2 years. Had uk bills etc. But the tax office wanted me to prove uk residence for tax purposes. I have family here so thet wouldn't accept that I was normally resident in the UK because I came home to see the fam. Wasn't worth it in the end. Didn't want the tax man all over me for a few grand. Be careful.

Advertisement