Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing vs Computer Science

Options
  • 27-01-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

after nearly two years of doing computing in it tallaght. i find out that these courses are not the same and dont obtain the same degrees.

everywhere i look i see employers looking for computer science degrees. not computing.

Whats the difference exactly?

im in the programming side of second year for the record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can you source what you are trying to say? It's a bit confusing.

Anyone who I know who has finished the computing degrees has had no problem finding work. I'll be finished the same degree next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Teferi wrote: »
    Anyone who I know who has finished the computing degrees has had no problem finding work. I'll be finished the same degree next year too.

Apart from me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Haha, perhaps if you weren't so ugly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Teferi wrote: »
    Haha, perhaps if you weren't so ugly :pac:

That's rich coming from you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

seriously you should have seen the difference at the open day. it strikes me that you didn't realise that they are actually different courses. they have different names that should have been a easy difference to spot :p

even still there should be course outlines online now that should tell you the difference.

i agree with the poster that said that there's no problems getting work.

i didn't go to tallaght IT but done a comp science degree and walked into a job, since starting work 4 other developers have started where i work. the rest of the class that didn't go on to further study only 3 out of 20 haven't gotten a job.

what employers look for is experience experience experience.

seriously, make a website, doesn't matter how **** it is, it shows you've coded for something other than getting a grade. code small programs to make your life on your computer better. do work experience if your course allows it.

join up on stackoverflow and answer and ask questions and all the above should go on your cv, it shows you enjoy what you're doing more than your average joe. anyone that has done a computer related course and isn't on stackoverflow should just quit now and work in a ****ty menial job for the rest of their life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turlybork

I've been doing Computing now for 3 years.. and there are only two types of computer course in IT Tallaght: Computing and IT Management. Both of these are a bachelor of science, and there is little or no difference between the "computing" course in Tallaght and "computer science" courses in other colleges...

Advertisement